few questions

ok so how do i go about removing the chuck with those type of gears?

Your Atlas is different from mine. On mine, I would squeeze the belt and hit a jaw with a deadblow hammer ( soft face) , turning it in a CCW rotation. On South Bend's I ran, we would put it in back gear to remove the screwed on chuck. But I don't know if it would damage your gears or not. I would hate to suggest that to you and have something happen.

We need somebody with a similar lathe to let us know if it's safe to do that.

All the gears on Atlas lathes of this vintage are Zamac originally.

To remove the chuck, you can put a piece of wood the sticks out towards you, pinch the belt to stop the spindle from turning and hit the wood down to unscrew the chuck. The threads are 1-1/2" X 8 right hand, so CCW is correct to remove the chuck.

In one of your pictures showing the bull gear, the large gear that engages the back gear assy is lacking lube.

Do not pretend to be Thor when swinging the hammer. Place a piece of wood underneath the chuck so that you do not ding the ways.

All lube points are 20 wt non detergent oil. The gears some people use the same and others use what is called "climbing gear lube" it is super stick. Problem is the grease type lube will grab bad hold scarf and dirt while oils are less likely to do so. Grease is quieter.
Pierre

To remove the carriage you have to remove the two bolts that hold the apron on the saddle, remove lead screw, remove the two flat gibs that are bolted from the underside, one behind the apron, the other on the back side. There is also a gib that pushes against the back of the ways as well. Watch for shims, you need them to reset everything back up.

Manual is available new direct from Clausings, 20 bucks, it is copyrighted so no online versions. Spare parts also available there and from Sears but sears gets them from Clausings and doubles the sell price.

I suggest that you join up to the Atlas/Craftsman users group. Lots of files, diagrams etc there as well.

Many of the members there also belong here as well.:))

ok thanks ill give that a try to get the chuck off. one other thing i noticed that makes some noise when i run the machine is the gears on the side some of them have play in them is that ok? but if i dissengage the those side gears it runs alot quiter. also when i try and engage the back gear it just pops out i dont know if theres a lock or something?

Basically the gear noise is normal, the question is how much noise is the normal. You need some clearance between each gear. You use a piece of paper to set the clearance.

Here is a site that has the service bulletins for Atlas stuff. Copy them and print them off for future reference. These tend to move around on the web as site owners come and go.

http://scottandersonpipes.com/atlas_press/servicebulletins.htm

I have the same lathe here is the parts list for it.

Attachments

• Craftsman12Parts.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Back