Felt Grade For Cataract Spindle Bearing And Bearing Covers?

jklett

Registered
Registered
Hello, I am rebuilding a Cataract 37 lathe(serial #509) and need to replace the felt oilers for the spindle and the felt washers in the bearing covers. I was thinking of using F1 for both but I wanted to make sure that is the correct grade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've used F1 (pure wool) felt as oil wicks for #10 spindle oil, replacement way wipers on an engine lathe, and seals on a surface grinder. Worked fine in each instance. It wears better than blended felts. McMaster Carr sells a good election of sheet felt. The felt cord for wicks was harder to find as I recall. If you need thicker felt than you can find, stacking up thinner sheets has worked for me.

Thanks. I'll use the F1 in both locations. I can't wait to get this machine back together and working.

I was planning on using F1 felt for the ends and pure wool yarn for the wicks ...... the fabric ladies thought I was crazy when I was in there asking for pure wool yarn and I told them what I was using it for.

I was planning on using F1 felt for the ends and pure wool yarn for the wicks ...... the fabric ladies thought I was crazy when I was in there asking for pure wool yarn and I told them what I was using it for.

I get the same reaction every time I go into one of those places. I tie fishing flies and you'd be amazed at the price difference between craft shops and fishing shops for the same materials. Only thing is, now what am I going to do with a whole pound of wool when I only needed a few feet?

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer. I already have enough wool to make my own sheep, it just stinks that you can't buy a few feet worth and need to get a whole skein. I should get the wife into knitting, maybe I should make her the needles. I smell a new project!

Back