1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Fellow Taig Lathe Users?

Discussion in 'SHERLINE, TAIG, TITAN & SIEG MINI-MACHINES' started by ogberi, Sep 15, 2015.

1. ogberi

ogberi Active User Active Member

City:
    Homosassa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Hi All!

Wondering if there are any active Taig users out there?

2. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I have what used to be a Taig lathe, motor was changed, output is now a spiraled gear with a single groove pulley crammed onto it so I only have one speed. I have used it on occasion, but don't often because I have other lathes more easy to use. I guess I'm active but the Taig lathe isn't.

3. gerene

gerene Belgium Active Member Active Member

City:
    Bevel
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

I do have a Taig lathe wich I use regularly for clock work.

4. Chip Hacket

Chip Hacket United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Dallas
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

I have a Taig lathe and mill I use for all kinds of things. Great hobby. Good for the soul.

Chip

5. Forty Niner

Forty Niner United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Spicewood
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I bought a used Taig lathe without a motor. It does have a tailstock with chuck, a steady rest, 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, and the milling attachment. I have just completed setting it up with a Treadmill motor for power. Seems like a good little lathe. The accessories are reasonable. I just bought a ER16 collett adapter to fit my 3/4" threaded spindle. I also bought a set of cheap collets.

6. Chip Hacket

Chip Hacket United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Dallas
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

How is the motor working out for you? Have you made any upgrades to your equipment?

7. Forty Niner

Forty Niner United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Spicewood
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

The treadmill motor works great on the Taig lathe. I use a treadmill controller with a potentiometer to control a wide range of speeds.

8. DaveInMi

DaveInMi United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Cheboygan
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I have had one for 20 years. It was my only lathe for a long time. I still use it for small diameters. I have two others (6" & 12") but for some jobs it is the most suited.

9. Reuben Bailey

Reuben Bailey Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brattleboro
    State:
    Vermont

-Return to Top-

I recently acquired a Taig lathe. I am still in the process of setting it up. It came with a motor, but no motor mount. Feels like a great little tool.

10. rogerpjr

rogerpjr United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Colorado Springs
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I've had my Taig lathe for over twenty years and am now setting up a Taig milling machine. Started using the lathe to make pens while temporarily living in an apartment and now use it for lots of small stuff.

Chip Hacket likes this.
  11. Hidyn

Hidyn Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

Just chiming in to say I've got a brand new Taig! Although I opted to scrounge through my old motors instead of buying the Taig one. Found a 1/3 HP 1750 RPM motor I found in perfect condition 6 years ago in a scrap heap. I've been dragging it around all this time because I KNEW it would come in handy.

My hoarding instinct has been justified for a few more years. :)

12. gerritv22

gerritv22 Active User Registered Member

City:
    St Catharines
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

13. dontrinko

dontrinko United States Active Member Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have the Taig lathe with many of the accessories. I use it occasionally but when I use it it does things I have no other way of doing. I also just bought a Unimat. I am going to set it up as a mill. I have the milling attachment for the Taig but the movement is not enough in many cases. don

14. wsfurrie

wsfurrie United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Deltona
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

N Shop 1.jpg I have both a Taig and a 40 year old Unimat. The Unimat has had quite a lot of use. I have done a small amount of milling with it but it is a chore. The biggest problem is that the head-stock is made to be used as a drill-press when mounted vertically. Making fine adjustments with the head-stock lever is hard. On the Yahoo Unimat forum there was a project shown that had an adjustable head-stock using a threaded rod for movement. I solved my problem by buying a MicroMark mill. Not the finest piece of equipment but it suffices for what I do.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016