1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Feed wire sizing to my garage

Discussion in 'ELECTRICAL ISSUES - POWER YOUR MACHINES & SHOP' started by magu, Mar 7, 2017.

1. magu

magu United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Pittsburgh
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking to add power to my detached garage so I can run my machines and do a bit of tinkering. My question is what size wire I need, the run will be 70', it will power some lights (>2amps), a little old radio, and 1 thing at a time (it's just me, I can't weld, run a mill and a sander all at once). I will be installing a 1 HP vfd to power both my mill and lathe (240 3ph, 3/4 and 1/2 Hp respectively) I will also install 8 outlets.

Can I use 12/3g wire for this?

My plan would be to put half the lights and half the outlets on each circuit breaker, that way if I blow a breaker I won't lose all my lighting. I would then use both legs to feed my vfd as well.

2. uncle harry

uncle harry United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Big Bend
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

Hi, Wire size might depend on the potential of additional needs such as an air compressor or any other needs or bargains that may come along in the future. I supplied my outbuildings with # 6 direct burial thinking that 60 amps continuous would all that I would need. Now I wish it was at least # 4.

Uglydog, FOMOGO and cathead like this.
  3. ddickey

ddickey United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Red Wing
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I used 6 gauge also.

4. cathead

cathead Active User Active Member

City:
    Bemidji
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

You only want to bury the wire once. I put in a 100 amp service and have no regrets. Wire is cheap compared
    to the time and expense of digging in another line. Also a breaker box is necessary so
    you can have various breakered lines to your equipment.

Wireaddict, jererp, tweinke and 2 others like this.
  5. roadie33

roadie33 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Ozawkie
    State:
    Kansas

-Return to Top-

I used 3/0 for a 200 AMP Breaker box for my garage.
    Never know when you might have the lights on, AC, air compressor and welder running at the same time.
    Better to have more than needed than not enough and blow breakers all the time.

6. jim18655

jim18655 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Shickshinny
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Are you using direct bury cable or conduit? You could save on the expense now by installing a large (2") PVC conduit and up-size the wire later. It's more expensive overall but might help you out now. I wouldn't do less than 100 amps for the equipment you listed. The welder might have substantial draw and don't forget about running some type of heat in the winter.

thequintessentialman likes this.
  7. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I wouldn't go with anything smaller then #6 for the distance at least . If you have to dig conduits nice but 2" black water pipe will work and 100' roll is pretty cheap . You should bury at minimum 18" , 36" would be better the straighter the run the better . You can tie string to a dense sponge and blow the line thru with a air tank or compressor. If you pull the wire add an extra string in case you need to had later lines. Be careful to keep the buried line safe from any digging. If you use #4 you should have plenty of current with no worries of melting and shorts. Wires get hot when there's to much draw. Temco a store on eBay has pretty good prices Ck them out . Good luck and keep safe

8. magu

magu United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Pittsburgh
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Thank you all for your replies, at the moment, I have 1/2" EMT running to the garage with 5 very old and crusty wires in it. I can either make use of that, or wait for a year or two, but an eventual new trench for bigger wires is very low on the family centric priority list. Hence my attempt to use 12g copper.

I'm nearly never out there before the baby is asleep, the housework, the leftover office work is done, and the clock has struck midnight. As a result, in the short term at least, AC will be unnecessary, and an air compressor would not be well received by the neighbors.

9. markba633csi

markba633csi United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

If it was only 50 feet I'd say 10 gauge but I think you should use at least 8, maybe 6. 70 feet of 12 gauge will not be good enough at all if you want to weld.
    Mark S.

10. jim18655

City:
    Shickshinny
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Black water pipe isn't code compliant. I'd hate to see you get shot down by a building inspector, assuming you'd need an inspection in your area. I know in some places you can't plant a flower without someone sticking their nose in your business.

11. Glenn Brooks

Glenn Brooks H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

What Jim said. Check your local electrical code. Most all local codes are based on the national electric code. So mostly everywhere is similar. It will tell you what depth to bury, wire size for amperage, etc.

I just did what you contemplate and dug a 36" deep trench 100' in two days with a rented trencher and a 4" trench shovels -these things are great! I used 3" grey plastic conduit - which was the cheapest part of the job- it is WAY easier to pull wire through the bigger the diameter.

Regarding outlets and circuits. It only took me 1 year to want more outlets. And I installed plenty, with a big elaborate shop design plan. This spring, I get to open up last years some Sheetrock and put in more wiring... hint, hint.

Also call before you dig...

CluelessNewB likes this.
  12. CluelessNewB

CluelessNewB Active Resistor H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Gorham
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

I don't believe I have ever heard anyone saying something like "I wish I had run less power to my shop". I have a relatively small shop ~576 sq feet with 100 Amp sub panel and every breaker is used. Most of my stationary tools are wired for 220V.

13. Uglydog

Uglydog United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

My original plan was to run a buzz box and DP.
    Things grew from there.
    I ran 6. Should have run 4.
    I occasionally have to go to the main panel in the house to reset a breaker.
    Arrgh.

Daryl
    MN

14. ewkearns

ewkearns United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Shallotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Personally? I'd go with 2-2-2-4 and a 100 amp sub panel. Just doing enough to get by for "today" will probably come back to bite you in the posterior "tomorrow."

RandyM likes this.
  15. mksj

mksj Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

If you are using 240VAC for the VFD, the breaker would need to be ganged, both legs would trip. I would not run 120 and 240 off of the same breaker. You might be able to put in an electrical sub panel for future upgrade and have two single pole 120VAC breakers and a separate 240 VAC ganged breaker.

Like the others have mentioned, if you are going through all the trouble to trench and put in a new sub panel, then I would pull a minimum of a 100A line. I ran #4 copper wire in 1.5" ABS electrical conduit to my garage (about 40') and put in a 100A sub-panel. I believe code would require #3 wire for 100A breaker at the main panel (I use an 80A breaker at the main breaker box). All the sub panel breaker slots are filled and I recently had to put in a quad pole circuit breaker for a compressor and two 120VAC circuits. The VFD will give you soft start, so you do not have the motor start current that needs a bigger breaker. I think you would have too much voltage drop using #12 wire running a machine and anything else. I would also go a bit bigger on the conduit, you need to review the electrical code with regard to the fill volume (wires size and number) that can be pulled through the conduit.

I recently put in a Champion 5Hp compressor, they specify a 50A breaker. It is surprisingly quiet, it uses a low speed motor and air pump, and I can barely hear it outside of my garage. There is also the California Air compressors if you do not need higher volumes of air, they have about the same noise level as your mill when running.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  16. wawoodman

wawoodman himself, himself H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

More is better. When I set up the shop, I ran a 60 amp subpanel. I wish it had been 100.

And while you're running the receptacles, use 12 ga. wire, and 20 amp breakers. 14 ga./15 amp just doesn't cut it. And make sure the receptacles are 20 amp, as well.

ewkearns, uncle harry and cathead like this.
  17. stupoty

stupoty Active User Active Member

City:
    London

-Return to Top-

Not exactly on topic but ..

I just changed out my workshop (cubby hole) lighting for led flurecesent fitting of 50w, it has a maintained live and a battery that will keep half the lights on for upto 3h if the power drops might be worth considering if your going to be working at night in the dark surrounded by spinny and sharp things :)

They have got a lot cheeper, and you can get a small bulk head light as a very cheep one juat to give enough light to find your way out.

Stuart

British Steel likes this.
  18. tweinke

tweinke United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Fairmont
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I did a 100a panel and am tickled

19. mzayd3

mzayd3 Active User Active Member

City:
    Mayfield Heights
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I run my entire setup off of 240 volt, 20 amp. No issues at all.

My vote says use what you have until there is a problem, then upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. mksj

mksj Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

So to answer the original question, the recommended wire for a 240 VAC single phase input 1Hp (0.75 kW) VFD is 12-14AWG with a recommended breaker/fuse of 15A. Assuming a 15A draw at 240 VAC the voltage drop for 70 feet of 12 AWG wire is about 1.4%, at 120 VAC it is 2.8%. The The NEC maximum conductor voltage drop recommended for both the feeder and branch circuit is 5 percent of the voltage source. So with a 20A main panel breaker feeding your 12AWG branch circuit to your detached garage should be OK, I still would consider a sub panel and breaking out two 120VAC separate 15A single pole breaker socket circuits for each set of 4 outlets, and a 15A double breaker for a 240 VAC circuit. I also believe there is a requirement for all garage outlets to be on a GFI, the standard big box store GFI's usually trip when a VFD is attached to it.

21. ewkearns

City:
    Shallotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Magnetic contractors are your friend in a power outage....

uncle harry likes this.
  22. Keith Foor

Keith Foor Active Member Active Member

City:
    Johnstown
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Hate to point this out, but.... It's never a good idea to sit and think about how little you are going to do and then subtract from what you think you need for power in a shop. If you are not going to work in the shop, then forget about it. Put up a sky light to get some light in and start building shelves to store crap on. It's typically easier to begin building shelves in the middle of the floor so you can store as many things you will never use again on them. OR you can do it with the idea that you WILL be working out there. And buying equipment that will consume more power and build to accommodate it now.

I am not saying to get a new 400 amp service put in, but running 3 12 gauge runs of Romex ain't gonna cut it either.

First off, how big of a panel is in the house? You can't exceed that so don't bother trying to. If the main is 100 amp, then a 200 amp sub panel on it fed from a 200 amp breaker is pointless. You can go 100% of the main, but no more than that. and I wouldn't do that. 75% is where I would stop and 80% is a hard limit in my book. Code's in your area may vary, so don't think I am quoting regulation, I am not.
    So lets size the wire for 80 AMP.

Book says that you are looking at 4 gauge copper but that is for 50 foot. I would go to 2 gauge and call it good for that distance.
    Cutting it in is easier that you might think.
    Use a rototiller and just go from one building to the other over and over again. Have a couple friends or kids walk behind you with shovels and clean out the trench until you are 2 foot or so down and lay the pipe. Cover it up, put in the wire and go to town.
    get a used panel and an ebay breaker to feed it power and you are off to the races.
    Wire garage to the sub panel you installed and you are golden.

If there is at any point, any doubt as to your abilities to do this work, stop and call a professional.

Fitter Bill, RandyM and CluelessNewB like this.
  23. tq60

tq60 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    madera
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Forget ebay for panels.

We got our 200 amp capable subpanel with a good supply of breakers at home depot for 70 bucks.

The box stores have different sizes from small to large with breakers for decent money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Fitter Bill likes this.
  24. ewkearns

City:
    Shallotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

One might, also, consider wiring in a Main Breaker Load Panel, if there is any thought that over 100 Amps will be needed. When I re-wired my (soon to be) workshop, I did so, knowing that an addition of a phase converter to existing lights and whatnot might exceed the capacity. If I find 100 A won't cut it, all I'll need to do is change some wiring, add a meter base, and pay the utility to connect.

NOTE: That wiring a subpanel and wiring a main breaker fed from the utility are two different animals. If you don't know the differences, you might want to get professional help...

25. TORQUIN

TORQUIN United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Powhatan
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

My garage is about 50 ft from the house. I ran 2 #4 wires for each leg. I had a tiny panel in there until I got into the lathes and mills. I found a 100A panel on CL and upgraded and have been very happy since. I have almost 0 voltage drop from the house and have never been able to blow the 100A breaker in the house, even when welding 3/8" aluminum. I suggest you go bigger than you think you need. Overkill is good in this situation.

Chris

uncle harry and RandyM like this.
  26. jim18655

City:
    Shickshinny
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

If you ran 2-#4 per phase in parallel then it's a code violation. NEC prohibits conductors smaller than 1/0 in parallel (310.10 (H)(1)). Also, most lugs on breakers and panels are not rated for more than one wire per terminal so you would have to splice them to a larger wire to connect to the panel.
    I'd hate to see someone try it and get shot down in a building inspection.

27. ewkearns

City:
    Shallotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

You would probably spend about 1/3 more in wire cost (minimum) to run 2-#4 wires vs., say, a #1 wire, which is roughly (but not quite) equivalent. Check your local codes, one #2 would probably be sufficient and meet code....

28. TORQUIN

TORQUIN United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Powhatan
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Bummer. My buddy that wired it is a licensed electrician, so I thought he knew what he was doing. Maybe he just cut a corner to save bucks in my situation.

Thanks for the info.
    Chris

29. ewkearns

City:
    Shallotte
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Very likely so..... he may have had a surplus of #4 wire left from a particular job. It is unlikely that (after the fact) any inspector is going to be rummaging in your panel. If it works, enjoy what you have...... others, that may have an inspector driven solely by the black and white of the NEC may not be so forgiving..... IMHO, everything should be driven by common sense, an all to rare animal in this "Nation of Laws."

Scruffy, ch2co, tweinke and 2 others like this.
  30. Bob Engelhardt

Bob Engelhardt United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Carlisle
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

You have a baby? Well, I can see why shop wiring is not a high priority budget item <G>.

For my shop, I have a 15A 240v circuit that runs VFD's for a drill press, lathe, and mill. At 3.6KW, I could run 2 at once, but I'm not nimble enough to do that.

All the outlets (12?) are on one 15A 120V circuit. A baby MIG is on that. Lights are on a shared house circuit.

I know, "more is better", "better now than to have to upgrade later", yada yada. But if I were you, I would pull a 12-3 wG through the conduit you have & put in a sub panel large enough to hold a 15A 240 & 2 15A 120's. 15A is big enough and 14ga wire is so much easier to handle than 12ga. In other words: what you said.

This could satisfy your needs for years, depending. Could probably even have a moderate (20 gal) compressor on it.

Bob