fedex guy comes thru with my HF mini mill

Im not familiar with this mill but I'll take a shot at helping.

In the X direction (side to side, not front to back) there is probably an ACME lead screw. Underneath the table there's probably a brass fixture through which the acme screw turns. This is what pins the table to the acme screw causing the table to move when you crank the handle. That brass fixture needs to be firmly attached to the underside of the table and it's hole must be properly aligned for the lead screw to go through. Check into that situation and look for slop and wiggle. Likewise, at the ends of the lead screw, there's a shoulder area that probably rides inside a bearing. The bearing might be either a thrust or radial bearing. Check and see how much slop is between the shoulder and the bearing on each side. It's possible that excess space can be taken-up with some spacing washers. BTW: The same is pretty much true for the Y (front/back) direction.

Also, when you're making a cut, it's not a bad idea to firm-up the jib locking screws just a bit. Don't lock the table shut... just firm-up the screws enough to take out the slack. When you're moving the table for rough positioning, loosen up the jib locks a good half-turn. No sense creating drag and friction when it's not needed.

Try that and let us know.

Ray

one of the bigger problems mine had was bad side to side movement of the table.
i pulled the table completly off and found a lot of crud and red paint on what should have been the polished ways the table rides on. could you have th same problem?

one of the bigger problems mine had was bad side to side movement of the table.
i pulled the table completly off and found a lot of crud and red paint on what should have been the polished ways the table rides on. could you have th same problem?

I'll disassemble the table and look at the ways ASAP. Thanks for the idea.

Walt

Back