Federal .0001 indicater

I found out first hand on two indicators with sticky stems that WD40 would loosen them up immediately, but the next time I took one out to use it, it was sticky again. Then I cleaned them up with alcohol and went to a tiny amount of Velocite #3 spindle oil, ISO 2, normally used for plain bearing surface grinder spindles. It is working well so far, fairly short term.

Woodchucker , It dose have a green tint to the dial face,
Think I'll try a little isopropyl on plunger, what about under top cap area ?
don't want to take it apart

Yep, the jewels, like in timepieces are plain bearings usually made of synthetic ruby. They are used cause they don't require lubrication. Jeweled indicators really do have them too, if you take one apart you will see them.
Darkzero, don’t open up a watch repair shop just yet! You will have too many comebacks!...LOL. The jeweled holes in a timepiece get oiled. But, too much oil can be worse than no oil at all. Because oil attracts crap, and too much oil is too much crap. You get the idea, now you are a certified watch repair person, Good Luck at your new trade…Chips&More.

There are several authoritative books on Indicator repair. I've also read the repair guides from Starrett, and they note dirty hair springs as a possible culprit
in sticky indicators. I wouldn't do a self repair without full knowledge and even then, it's risky for my investments. I've read that the bearings and pinions are the only parts that get a tiny amount of oil, and it's fine Swiss Watch oil that is used. I'd like to read those books just for GP., but I'm not ready to take an indicator apart just yet. :)

Not to disagree, Dave, but Long Island Indicator has this to say about a sticking dial indicator spindle: "The spindle should never require lubrication. In fact, when we repair them we make certain to clean them thoroughly so that no grease, oil or grime remain. It may be a better idea to apply a few drops of alcohol to the spindle. This may clean it, if dirt is the issue. ..."

I've used acetone on mine some times they do get grubby and dusty

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I've used acetone on mine some times they do get grubby and dusty

Note only on the spindle and don't get on the lens use a clean cloth with acetone and always wear gloves

use a clean cloth with acetone and always wear gloves

That's my thought also.
Then I'll be sitting on the couch watching tv and the ol lady will start removing her finger nail polish, and I'm like holy **** do you know what that stuff is!!! and she says YES it's finger nail polish remover.... and to think I'm afraid of getting acetone on my hands.

I have no right to say anything about fixing indicators, but here goes anyway.
If any of my cheap indicators gets sticky and gives me a learning opportunity, naphtha (white gas) will be first on my list. It works great to clean delicate triggers and leaves the slightest film.

There is no doubt about the expert advice given above but I just gotta know for myself about the naphtha.

Darkzero, don’t open up a watch repair shop just yet! You will have too many comebacks!...LOL. The jeweled holes in a timepiece get oiled. But, too much oil can be worse than no oil at all. Because oil attracts crap, and too much oil is too much crap. You get the idea, now you are a certified watch repair person, Good Luck at your new trade…Chips&More.

Yeah but isn't that how you generate more business for repairs? ;)

Watch & indicator repair is too delicate for me, I don't have the patience. All my watches go to NEWW for work, well mods mostly. I'll leave stuff like that to the pros.

Back