• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • NOTICE: There are two new video channel areas set up, one for staff, and one for subscribing members. You need to create a folder. Then add your media to that folder. Once added, you can cut and paste the code at the bottom right to embed the media into a post on the forum.

It works very similarly to YouTube, except videos are stored on our server. Click Here For The Video Channels

[4]

Federal .0001 indicater

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have this bad habit of taking things apart to see what they look like, how they were built, but I resist the temptation when it comes to my precision gages.
I've only cleaned and calibrated my mechanical mics. Indicators,? well, like Will said, I leave it to the pros.

bobl

That's my thought also.
Then I'll be sitting on the couch watching tv and the ol lady will start removing her finger nail polish, and I'm like holy **** do you know what that stuff is!!! and she says YES it's finger nail polish remover.... and to think I'm afraid of getting acetone on my hands.
Don't think nail polish is the same as Acetone
Acetone will pass through the skin with any contaminants

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

dlane

Active User
I ended up using a little charcoal lighter fluid on the plunger, it returns repeatable now ,time will tell.

Silverbullet

Ok it works, the cap on top unscrews if it's dirty in there it will get back in the plunger and restick itself. If you take the back off it can be cleaned and cked out. Just don't go any farther , the springs are delicate to say the least. On the ones I've taken apart it looked like a tiny tiny drip of Vaseline on the rack of the plunger . But mine were all second hand not factory.

waynecuefix

I have used 3 in 1 penetrant with good results but probably not as good a naptha.

Last edited:

benmychree

John York
Don't think nail polish is the same as Acetone
Acetone will pass through the skin with any contaminants

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I looked up the MSDS for acetone and found no info about transdermal tendencies as stated above, just that is is an irritant and rubber gloves should be used accordingly; I have used it without protection many times without any ill effects.

dlane

Active User
Charcoal lighter worked for a while ,but now it's slow again :(

mikey

Active User
Small amounts of acetone, as used in cleaning an indicator, won't hurt you. Your own body produces acetone as a byproduct of fat metabolism and is used in the production of glucose by your body. It is absorbed through the skin but only in small amounts and your body will rid itself of that amount through your lungs, urine and via normal metabolism. Its wise to use gloves if you're exposed to it often but occasional casual contact is not considered a health hazard of significant note.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
One of the larger indicator repair shops recommend using naptha for cleaning and lubricating of dial indicators.

benmychree

John York
I have been dealing with "sticky" indicators for nearly 50 years now; sometimes, after cleaning, I have grasped the body of the indicator and pushed the moving member to one side, top. bottom with some force and sliding it in and out at the same time, often this will loosen things up.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
I have been dealing with "sticky" indicators for nearly 50 years now; sometimes, after cleaning, I have grasped the body of the indicator and pushed the moving member to one side, top. bottom with some force and sliding it in and out at the same time, often this will loosen things up.
I've done this too! It does work. Just don't put too much force on the stem, you can bend it. I've done that too.

kd4gij

Active User
Gotta love when you use something like acetone for 30 years, then they come a long and tell you it is bad for your health. Back in the day when I worked with fiberglass insolation, would was down with acetone to get rid of the itching. Only thing that worked. Also used it when I was a manufacturing optician for 25 years. To clean lenses before heat treat.

[6]
[5] [7]