Favorite 6" dial caliper?

Thanks for all the info. Seems the etalons will save me some money versus getting a pair branded Brown & Sharpe or Tesa.

I'll let you guys know when I get a pair coming. Just blew a chunk of change on shop lighting today.

FWIW, my all time favorite dial calipers are HF. Laugh if you must but......They are CHEAP, I have them everywhere. They are all over my shop, at every machine, every desk, on my assembly benches. Also they are adequate for the work I do. I have a couple of Mititoyo electronic calipers as well and I like them because the flip from imperial to metric conveniently but since I HATE metric, did I mention I HATE metric, imperial dial calipers work well for me. I do however, have a fond admiration for nice micrometers of which I have several.

I would buy a Tesa. They are identical to the Brown & Sharpe or Etalon calipers but they have a thumb wheel and this makes all the difference. Long Island agrees - this is the Cadillac of calipers.

I just bought one to supplement the four others I already have - don't ask - and it is, by far, the best of the lot. It reads in 0.001" increments but has dots in between the tic marks to read 0.0005". I checked mine with gage blocks and it is balls on accurate. Hardened jaws, smooth as silk, repeats every time.

If you have the money, a Tesa depth base is nice to have.

Does the Tesa only come in 6"? I have an 8" Mitutoyo and find that to be the perfect all around size for my work. The Tesa does like nice. I may get one even in 6"
How much did you pay for it if you don't mind? I see they're going for $175 and up. It's nice that the Tesa is dead nuts, but calipers are not really super precision tools.
Like all calipers, the amount of pressure used will determine accuracy. I can get repeated measurements with my Mit digimatic 8 with light, even pressure but it will never measure .0623" :)

Does the Tesa only come in 6"? I have an 8" Mitutoyo and find that to be the perfect all around size for my work. The Tesa does like nice. I may get one even in 6"
How much did you pay for it if you don't mind? I see they're going for $175 and up. It's nice that the Tesa is dead nuts, but calipers are not really super precision tools.
Like all calipers, the amount of pressure used will determine accuracy. I can get repeated measurements with my Mit digimatic 8 with light, even pressure but it will never measure .0623" :)

I think they only make it in a 6" but I'm not sure about that. It is the exact same caliper as the Etalon and B&S caliper except it has a thumb wheel; for me, this is important for feel. I paid $200.00 shipped for this one. It was brand new and came with the depth base. I only went for it because it belonged to a guy who died and his brother was selling his tools. Normally, I would look for a better deal but if you look at used Tesa's, they run over $100 for a well used one.

It is a 0.001" caliper with 0.0005" inter-unit markings and the thing is very accurate. The only caliper that I have that comes close is a Mitutoyo vernier caliper with a fine-feed wheel and that one is super-accurate. You're right; dial calipers in general are not for close tolerance work but I am convinced that no finer dial caliper exists.

I own an 8" digimatic but would like to buy a good dial caliper. I didn't know too much about the Etalon. I like the idea of a find adjust thumb wheel.
The dial caliper may live longer than electronic, although Mitutoyo makes a great product. Etalon makes super accurate tools, so it's worth a look.
For $200, you did well. Especially since it is new or mint, with the base no less. Thanks.

Ebay has a listing for new Etalon 6" dial calipers with the depth base for $149.00 ($5.00 S&H), which is a great deal.
Amazon is selling them for $184 w/o the depth base. The Ebay listing is Brown&Sharpe but it's an Etalon. New in it's sealed package and paperwork. TESA Etalon B&S
I couldn't resist, so I bought one from the Ebay seller. Returns are accepted, but if this is a new caliper, I don't see any problems.
There are two left. http://www.ebay.com/itm/322270746493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I needed a back up in case my Mitutoyo quits on me. (6 years still going strong).

I have a Brown & Sharp and a Tesa, The Tesa has a thumbwheel for rotating the dial to set zero, the B &S has a screw to release so you can rotate the dial to set zero. Other than that and the B & S is silver and the Tesa is black plastic they are identical. Even in smoothness of operation. I have a small number of "Pittsburgh" from HF, at $10.00 each which lie around the shop being handy to wherever I am. The B & S and the Tesa live in a drawer in a Kennedy box. If they come out, they go back. I got the HF models to keep the too good ones from damage. Batteries are online for 10 for $3.98 free shipping.

Ebay has a listing for new Etalon 6" dial calipers with the depth base for $149.00 ($5.00 S&H), which is a great deal.
Amazon is selling them for $184 w/o the depth base. The Ebay listing is Brown&Sharpe but it's an Etalon. New in it's sealed package and paperwork. TESA Etalon B&S
I couldn't resist, so I bought one from the Ebay seller. Returns are accepted, but if this is a new caliper, I don't see any problems.
There are two left. http://www.ebay.com/itm/322270746493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I needed a back up in case my Mitutoyo quits on me. (6 years still going strong).

Same exact calipers except no thumb wheel. I'm sure you'll be happy.

Last edited:
Back