Fast & low cost shipping - maybe

Groundhog

Registered
Registered
I bought a vacuum pump through a semi-local trade paper last week (like for HVAC work). The guy is about 125 miles away and I didn't really feel like driving there and back. I was going to check usual freight prices but he suggested Greyhound. He took it to the bus pickup point (without a box, just a tag on the handle) and I picked it up a few hours later for about 1/3 the cost of UPS. The disadvantages are the need to be at the pickup and drop off sites at (or close) to the bus times.
I'm not sure if allowing us to ship it un-crated is policy or if the driver just let us slip through the cracks?

When I lived in western Canada, Greyhound was a common shipping method. The large company I worked for used it to move small equipment and parts between offices all the time. Out there most of the busses were pulling enclosed freight trailers. Expect its a good chuck of their revenue.

Greg

Good post. Can be a real money saver for most people.
Unfortunately for myself and a few other members, it's like a two hour drive to
the bus station.

Just found out that sometimes it is not so good. I checked on shipping a small 3lb. package 110 miles the other day. Bus was $27 and priority mail was $7.20. The USPS got it here overnight and delivered to my door! Don't know but maybe the bus has a minimum??

When I was young. Many years ago. My Grandmother used to ship packages to us here in Fl. from Ky. all the time

Back