Farmall Model H Row-Cropper

Joncooey

Registered
Registered
Just followed me home....yeah, it was on a trailer.... Everyone knows that a dog needs a home. I think that she'll fit right in. And it came with a bush-hog. Couldn't see it going for scrap.
Let's see how long it takes for the wife to notice.
farmall2.jpg
The back wheels are on backwards for some reason. I guess they were trying to make it more stable by putting the tires out wider.
Something else that needs gas and oil and attention.
She likes kids and grand-kids. I like old iron...and kids....and my wife...

Sometimes we would run the tires on our combines backwards in case you ran into a mud hole. You could almost always back out after the wheels spun going forward. Saved us from having to have a tractor and operator to pull you out when cutting muddy fields.
Of course you can swap the tires & wheels right for left and still have the wide stance but have the tires in "forward" direction, and it looks like you have more axle to slide the wheels out for even more width.

I don't think the wheels are on wrong, it's just the type of wheel and fit. The distance between the wheel/tire does give it the look that it's way out there but different wheels and tires could be used so fender position was kept standard. It was a small tractor with a big heart and big ideas. Good luck on the restore. -Russ

PS. I saw a vintage Ford on a trailer yesterday and was wondering about the myriad of thoughts from the folks who saw it. I know the driver looked proud, of course I would have liked to see his face when he was a couple blocks from home.

Edit; I was looking at the wheels, but yes the tires are on reversed from what would be considered standard.

Last edited:
The front wheels are also reversed. That can put a pretty good shock to the steering wheel if one hits a big rock or something. That shock transfers to the arm of the driver and has been known to injure the driver.

the fronts should be changed back good way to break a wrist, the back are also on backwards, not side to side either. They used to reverse back one for pulling contests on black top .

The front wheels are also reversed. That can put a pretty good shock to the steering wheel if one hits a big rock or something. That shock transfers to the arm of the driver and has been known to injure the driver.
With the little I know, along with it's been decades since I moved away from a tractor addict, I will say the wheels are reversible for many reasons, but mainly to line up with the furrows. How or why the wheels are installed the way they are is anyone's guess. I never encounterd the problem because all of my garden tools were handheld.

Edit: To put my last sentence into perspective; My Dad didn't begin to buy power tools until I left home, although we did have a mule, cow, goats, hogs, rabbits, turkeys and chickens.

Last edited:
There made that way to help back out of a mud wallow , the v goes forward . There on backwards if for tractor pulls would be about the only good reason. Only farmers know about that. Even some tracks on machines are direction made. I've had lots of machines come in with there tires mounted backwards.
Nice old tractor is the engine ok , not froze or cracked. Repairs are easy with the parts available.
I grew up with several John Deere tractors , we had an a and a b and an m , and an Oliver with steel spike wheels. 6 cylinder in line man killer . They had to much power to reign in if you weren't careful.

Last edited:
There made that way to help back out of a mud wallow , the v goes forward . There on backwards if for tractor pulls would be about the only good reason. Only farmers know about that. Even some tracks on machines are direction made. I've had lots of machines come in with there tires mounted backwards.
Nice old tractor is the engine ok , not froze or cracked. Repairs are easy with the parts available.
I grew up with several John Deere tractors , we had an a and a b and an m , and an Oliver with steel spike wheels. 6 cylinder in line man killer . They had to much power to reign in if you weren't careful.
Yeah, the engine is O.K. Needs carb work and she smokes a little. Just needs some time and attention and an oil change and a fresh set of spark plugs.

Back in the early years , we ran on two fuels . Run get warmed up on gas , then switch tanks to kerosene . When done for the day or needed more pull we went back to the gas tank. Funny if YA turned the kerosene tank to quick or if it wasn't hot enough she had all kinds of coffing, and spittin fits. The little m was my dad's favorite, all of them were mine. The Oliver scared me , I could see them spike wheels chopping me up in the fields . But it was easy to get out if it got stuck just a log in front or behind the spikes and one little clutch let out and it was out.

Back