facing hot rolled steel rod

Gneto

Registered
Registered
I know hot rolled steel rod is not the best metal. But I'm making a couple of parts with it and my trouble is getting a good finish. I'm trying to face it and end up with a decent finish. My question is would anyone recommend higher speeds for a better finish, deeper or lighter cuts. I've read both versions and not sure which way to proceed. I'm cutting 1" diameter rod, Hot rolled steel, using HSS cutter. I know the quality of the steel is a big factor, but trying to get it looking decent. Thanks for any suggestions.

I would bump up the speed, take lighter cuts and make sure your bit is sharp..Bob

Thanks Bob, It seems a good way to tackle this issue is bumping up the speed, use cutting fluid, and take the lighter cuts. I'll give it shot. Thanks

When I machine Hot roll steel, I first grind the scale coating off with a 4" grinder or on the belt sander so it is now shiny instead of grey. I find once I do that it machines nicely using HHS and I don't have finish problems. Also I always take about a .005" cut for a finish cut. I prefer cutting with the HHS because it runs slower and I can get a good finish. Carbide is meant to run fast and hard and will give a good finish that way.
The scale on HRS will tear up HHS tooling and usually break the carbide.

That is my opinion,
Mark Frazier

Re: facing hot rolled steel rod. Tbell

Thanks Bob, It seems a good way to tackle this issue is bumping up the speed, use cutting fluid, and take the lighter cuts. I'll give it shot. Thanks

Hot roll 1018 is very gummy. Good finish requires ridget holding and tool pressure. Try holding close to chuck use decent feed and speed. Remove .o24 stock with cutting oil one cut no return cut. If finish is ok fine if not try more stock removel. Hot roll wants to tear not cut, unless you can put tool pressure on it. :whiteflag: Tom :yourewelcome::veryscared:

Since you are facing on a lathe? Maintaining a proper speed and feed is impossible. Unless you have a variable speed spindle. I think your best results will be using power cross feed, cutting fluid, probably light cuts, try changing spindle rpm and a sharp HSS tool bit with a radius…Good Luck, Dave.

Back