Face Plate Anchoring Devices .

Round in circles

Active User
Registered
I've made a few top hat type TEE nuts that are ground with two flats , they fit the elongated slots on the face plate with a decent amount of meat in contact with the face plate to stop them pulling through .

Have any of you made any simple turned up on the lathe pads , widgets etc that you can slip a bolt through and through the face plate into the Tee nuts to hold work pieces to the face plate ?

If you have would you be so kind and put up a few pictures of what you have made .
I'm thinking of something turned round ,msay an inch in dia and an off center hole put through it in the four jaw chuck & then parting them off at 8 mm thick or so ,so I can " dial " a good anchoring fit to hold things to the face plate . I'm also thinking of making some 8 mm thick a 12 mm OD washers to use as face plate hold offs so I can turn metal off right to the edge of the work piece rather than having to stop before I start removing metal off the face plate . .

You can build anything that you can imagine to secure parts to a face plate, this is 34" (850 MM) aluminum disc mounted to a 24" face plate with 6" spacers to get the part across the removed lathe gap. 2 1/2" aluminum rounds faced to length and drilled for 5/8" hardware.
standoffs_zpsqrji9vj0.jpg
12 hold down clamps were milled from 1018 steel, I then drilled 24 3/8-16 threaded holes about the inside/outside diameters of the laser cut 304 SS blanks then clamped it on the ID and turned the OD and 1/2 of the face. Flipped the parts over and did the same on the other side.
Only imagination will hold you back from work holding problems, any set up that will make the parts desired with the available equipment is "correct".

However this took well over 30 hours to produce 3 parts including set up and another 5 or so to break down including replacing the gap.
ringindicate_zpsvzlzf2uq.jpg

The finished parts weighed less then 10 pounds each. The only limitation is ones desire to do it.
rings_zps5vba9ryc.jpg

Like Wreck Wreck Said hold down clamps are some of the easiest thinks we can make in our shops.

;)That 34 inch'er kind of makes my 5 " chuck look a bit pissy :D

I've made two shouldered turned & ground to fit " Tee devices .
I will be making another two and perhaps will present them for applause & laughter on here when they're done.

Back