Face milling with a small mill.

I am working on the computer to design a Flywheel style Fly-Cutter.
I have two objectives
1. to produce flat smooth surface
2. to produce a precise corner for a step
While not totally exclusive the cutter face to achieve either case may require a different approach.
Typically a smooth surface requires a wide radius of the cutting edge while the sharp edge is a corner requires a sharp defined edge tooth cutter.
The simplest approach is a round tool bit for the smooth surface running at a tangential angle to the cutting surface
see the concept from https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/small-face-mill-using-tangential-cutter.82442/
The Sharp corner I would think would start from square stock tool bit this approach is most easily achieved using any of the conventional Fly-Cutter designs
My current challenge is to design one Disc or Flywheel which can hold either a round or square tool bit.
The basic concept must comply to the above article as it can be accomplished by most people
A square can hold either a Round or Square Tool bit stock.
While a simple 12 degree (facing the direction of the turn) drilled hole can accomplish the concept mentioned above.
The same approach using a square clamp would require the Flywheel to be cut at the desired radius and a 12 degree angled v cut into each side of the flywheel. When mated back together the two pieces would form the clamping square for either a round or square tool bit stock. The design concept is to turn the clamping square such that the tool bit is a tangential cutter capable of providing a square corner in any material it cuts on the edge.
It will also be quite capable of producing a good finish on both the vertical wall and the floor of the cut.
It will take some time mostly in coming up with the working angles as in this design once cut the angle is fixed and the design concept should be capable of using the standard Tangential Tool bit which in a lathe use a 12 degree by 12 degree cutting angle.
The typical grind is a nominal 30 degree. This provides a very strong and long lasting cutting surface and easily resharpened when the cutting edge requires resharpening. The other advantage to this concept is returning to the same cutting depth is a simple matter of adjusting the too protrusion from the Tool holder (Flywheel)
OK this is a very long winded explanation of the concept to bring the tangential Lathe tool approach to the Milling Platform.
The problem with the Mill is rotating the tool and we do not need any additional flying objects seeking more human blood to feed upon. More design work is required to minimize additional protrusions other than the cutting surface.
The thickness of the flywheel is to hide all or most of the tool bit
The diameter of the flywheel is to provide the designed radius.
IF there is anyone who can add to this concept you are more than welcome to add your comments as all ideas are welcome, as this is a hobby where we can share our ideas both good and not so good.
I wish I could draw what is in my head for the design concept then it would be much more clear for everyone to see and add their two cents to improve it for everyone else.
Thanks for Listening

Back