Face Cutter Vs. Indexable End Mill ?

BillWood

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Indexable - what does it really mean - my impression is that it has come to mean "replaceable carbide tips"

Maybe I should modify that "replaceable carbide tips that go into exactly the same position as the last one you had"

Whats the difference between a face cutter and and "Indexable End Mill" see this link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-of-i...ing-machine-/271925818042?hash=item3f500ab2ba

Looks similar to my face cutter - 2nd photograph biggest tool.

Can I use a face cutter like an end mill - ie carve out a 1/4" x 1/4" corner to make the shoulder on T-nuts.

(RF30 Mill 2HP motor)

Regards

Bill

A indexable face cutter is what you thought. It uses carbide inserts that are indexed as the wear.

Face cutters are wide cutters made out of tool steel. When they wear down you must have them resharpen.

Fly cutters use a single tool bit. When I was working in the shops some places outlawed them as a safety hazard. If the tool bit is not properly secured they could fly out. If you are interested in making or buying one find a model that has a bottom faceplate so the bit can't be forced out by to much cutting pressure

Some types with indexable carbide will be able to cut into a corner. It needs to be a insert with a square corner. You also may need to take multiple passes to reach full depth as many of the ones I have used will only cut about .100 deep per pass

Back