Extra Large Fly Cutters

Lol I've been leaning towards the pinnacle cutter aswell seems more balanced to Me as you don't have a giant bar swinging around but the price and max diameter of the suburban tool is a big bonus too hmmm.....

Bear in mind the larger the swing, the more travel is required to clear the workpiece without feeding across it. Using a 19" swing would eat up 38" of travel.

This is true, I wouldn't be using a 19" diameter anyways just cool that it goes that big! I believe my machine has a 30" travel on the x-axis....

19" is a lot for a bp type mill anyway. Unless you are cutting dust. In head work, I can't see the need for that much swing, but I agree, that makes it a nice capable cutter. And if you didn't have a problem feeding off the work in cross feed, use it. The Pinnacle, to me, looks better balanced than the Suburban. No doubt the Suburban is a quality tool, and would probably do the job, but the look and the way I sense it would feel, the Pinnacle would be my choice.

I agree, glad I'm not the only one, the way I see it is the suburban fly cutter is just an all around good fly cutter, probably won't need any others with that kind of range! And the pinnacle seems like it's custom built just for heads and 11'' still clears my entire table. As far as price goes would the suburban tool be a better bang for your buck? Might only ever use it on a few heads for personal builds and such.

Well, there is a substantial difference in price, and like you said, the Pinnacle seems to be purpose built whereas the Suburban is a general purpose tool. Most of the time, a dedicated design is better, and obviously there is more meat in the Pinnacle. So there is some justification for the extra expense. If it were a decision based on commercial use in a head shop, the Pinnacle would be the better deal, I'm thinking. Might be a little harder to justify for just a few heads. That part only you can decide. I think we've agreed the Pinnacle is a better tool, so you just have to decide whether to spend that much or back away and settle for a gp fly cutter.

Back