Expose more of wire leads on motor?

Ecosta777

Registered
Registered
Sorry for the weird title, I'm not exactly sure technically what to call the wire leads coming out of the motor windings.

My problem is, two are very short. I unsoldered the old wires and the leads coming off the motor are all cruddy and have old solder on them. The long one I can just snip off and strip a new end. The short ones I'm worried about having to short.

My question is, is it ok to just cut back the wrapping on the motor a little to expose some more wire, or am I stuck with what I've got?
385726cdf15db0db42821e447d2de6a9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Should not be a problem, use shrink wrap tubing to insulate the join with multiple layers.

That old solder will clean up with some resin flux. No need to cut it off. If you have access to some dual-wall heat shrink, it will strengthen the joint. The second layer is actually hot glue. It will melt and hold on really well.

Agree with Hawkeye, you've got enough wire there. Just re-tin with fresh solder, splice and heatshrink
Try to work fast to minimize the amount of heat going into the windings
A trick I like to do is lay the new wire next to the old and wrap with a single strand of thin wire to hold them together while you solder.
The thin strand becomes part of the joint.
It makes a strong splice that isn't too fat and bulky; good when space is tight
-Mark

Last edited:
Back