Experiences with shipping mills?

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Okay, I've just bought a mill that I need to have shipped from MI to NE. Are there any things I can do to help assure that my mill arrives safely? I don't "know" the seller and I definitely have nothing to go on with a carrier. All I read about is how peoples machines are destroyed or at least broken due to the carrier or the shipper not preparing it properly. Is there any kind of insurance one can get? Etc, etc. I've never had to deal with shipping something like this before so what thoughts do you guys have on this?

Thanks,

-Ron

Shipping machines can be a risky deal. Ive done a few with trucks, trailers.
One time I moved my mill and lathe, and brought my fork lift with me on the flat bed to help unloading at the other end. The easyest way Ive ever done it, when I hired in riggers to do the job. Yes, the most expensive route to go, but they are equipped, and know what to do. And, they have insurance coverage incase something gets damaged.

My friend bought a Van Norman 12 from a aircraft repair shop, and he had the riggers do the job. I was there with him, and must say, they knew there job. The truck rolled in with a massive fork lift on the back, they had the fork lift on the groung in mins. They had the mill loaded tied down and wrapped so fast, I couldnt help but look on in aww.

The driver had the mill sitting in the garage for us with in mins after arriving at his house, we just stood there and watched. His only question was where do you want it? The best way, but most expensive too.

I hate moving machines, the stress level just sucks. I would go and be present while they load your machine, and make sure all goes well. Or if your picking it up your self, have a wrecker come in and get it from the ground to the trailer, you tie it down and your on your way. When you do reach you home, I would just call in another wrecker to pick it up, and set it either in front of your garage door or inside the door if possible.

Ive moved way to many machines over the years, and the riggers really do make it look easy. They have the right equipment, the experiance, and insurance if anything goes wrong.

As far as picking it up myself, I could if I really, really needed to (it's about a 12 hour drive) but shipping it would actually be cheaper than me picking it up. With my 3/4 ton truck the fuel alone works out to around $700. Then there are the misc. travel expenses like food, and probably a night or two in a motel. In my "younger" days I could do the 26 hour (2 for finding the place, getting loaded and tied down) without pause. Now? Not so much. I find it safer to take some breaks along the way. So, it would be cheaper to ship and once I throw in the 2 or three days away from work, as well as the wear and tear on my body/mind (what I have left anyway :p) it would seem to make sense to have it shipped.

8ntsane - I'd like to be there but if I was I might as well haul it myself. See above for other considerations. :thinking: :)

So... crating. I'll call and ask the shipper what he has available. It strikes me that would be a big help although more cost.

I'm trying to put this together so I can get things moving as quickly as possible.

Thanks guys,

-Ron

Ok, thats a long haul to do on your own. Yes I think I would have it shipped as well. I take it your getting this from a machine dealer. They should know what to take off, and secure for transport. From what Ive seen in the past, most riggers are very picky about what a machine is sitting on. If you have tis attached to a skid, make it clear that your machine has a 12 hr trip to make, and not a quick trip up the street. If the rigger is just hauling your mill, then I would just leave it to them. Skids ,though seemingly a good idea, can cause problems if they are not built solid enough, and when you get it home, then you will have to deal with getting the mill off the skid. My preferance is to let the riggers strap it down, and pass on the skid for a mill.

Hope it all goes well, and she makes it to your place without damage.

Back