Expectations around grinding on Mill and Lathe

DirtMerchant

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone! I hope this question hasn't been beaten to death, and apologies if it has been.

What are realistic expectations in terms of precision when using cupwheels, toolpost grinders, and the like on mills and lathes - as opposed to making proper use of a surface grinder?

My intent would be to make use of what I've got in order to clean up suspect vices, and other precision critical implements.

I know i am good to go for things like touching up actual cutting tools and even making broaches and such, but do not have a grip on how flat and parallel I can expect to get a part in this manner.

I'm sure you can get fairly good accuracy using the precision built into your lathe and mill BUT are you sure you want to expose your machines to abrasive particles? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Its certainly something I've considered - and to be clear this is not something I'd do frequently. Additionally all proper protective and cleaning measures would be taken.

I once saw a Rong Fu 30 mill, which was set up 3 feet away from a heavy bench grinder. The wear on the dovetails from microscopic air-borne particles was notable. All of the flaking had been worn away, except at the extreme ends of travel.

Abrasive dust is insidious and hard to entirely block when fine and air-borne.

With proper cleaning it shouldn't be a problem.
If you know your kicking up dust wipe your equipment down.
Also with adequate lubrication and good way wipers this shouldn't be a big problem.
The Asians clean their machines thoroughly at the end of every shift.
It makes a difference.
As far as accuracy, it's all on the machinist

It's been done before. It's definitely not recommended. Cover up your machine like a surgeon doing an operation and then clean, clean, clean.

It's like turning cast iron on a lathe. Everybody does it. It leaves a fine dust and particles every wheres. It is recommended to cover up and use vacuum cleaner and not compressed air to clean up.

Thank you all for the feedback, sure appreciate the insights on the risks.

Anyone know where i can pick up a surface grinder for $500? Still kicking myself for not grabbing the one I had an opportunity for!

Back