1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Expanding and cutting new threads on existing threaded hole

Discussion in 'Steel' started by skydiverMN, Sep 4, 2013.

1. skydiverMN

skydiverMN Iron Registered Member

City:
    Minneapolis
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I'm a newbie and am hoping to get some guidance on enlarging and re-tapping.

I have a steel reducer bushing that has 3/8" NPT female threads that needs to get to 1/2-28. From what I've read I need a 15/32" drill bit to create the hole for my 1/2 tap. Can I drill directly into the existing 3/8" tapped hole in one pass, or should it be done using slightly bigger bits in each pass? I plan on using a manual drillpress, a cobalt 15/32" bit, and plenty of cutting oil. What would be a good rotational speed of the press? I'd appreciate any help or guidance, thanks!

2. CluelessNewB

CluelessNewB Active Resistor H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Gorham
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

But isn't the hole already too big? 3/8" NPT pipe has an nominal outside diameter of 0.675 and tap drills for 3/8 NPT is 37/64 greater than 1/2"!

3. skydiverMN

skydiverMN Iron Registered Member

City:
    Minneapolis
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Okay, so I'd get 1/4" instead of 3/8, and I'd just have more to drill out.

But I'm still confused. So, when you're talking about 3/8" NPT it's inside diameter for tapping, but when you're talking about 1/2-28 it's outside diameter?

4. DAN_IN_MN

DAN_IN_MN United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Green Isle
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

5. CluelessNewB

CluelessNewB Active Resistor H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Gorham
    State:
    Maine

-Return to Top-

Historically I believe pipe sizes were originally the inside diameter of the pipe but as wall thickness of pipe have become thinner over time the size doesn't mean very much anymore.

I suspect you may need to go down to 1/8" NPT to have a hole small enough for a 1/2-28. There is a link to a table of pipe sizes below.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/npt-national-pipe-taper-threads-d_750.html

Normal (non-pipe) sizes are more or less the outside diameter of the fastener and make much more sense.

6. Bill C.

Bill C. United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Clarksville
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

Pipe threads are measured by the inside diameter of the pipe. My Dad was a maintenance-man and threaded a lot of pipe. External threads like 1/2-13 are always measured by the largest outside diameter.