Example Curriculum for Self Study Program in Welding & Machining

@DavidR8 It is my work. I wrote it today because I have a hurt neck (slept on it wrong because my dog was pushing me off the bed), and I can’t work in the shop.

Erik - I am a but overwhelmed. That is .. comprehensive!

I am about to get deep ended in a welding adventure involving heated cast iron. The most history and technique information I get is from Wikipedia and YouTube, and asking on HM. Then I find the discarded brake caliper, or any cast iron, and have a practice attempt on a small piece. Then go for the real thing!

Of course, folk get trained and qualified in welding, and build careers of practical experience. I have to get somewhere with it, done any other way I can. It may end up hilarious!

Erik - I am a but overwhelmed. That is .. comprehensive!

I am about to get deep ended in a welding adventure involving heated cast iron. The most history and technique information I get is from Wikipedia and YouTube, and asking on HM. Then I find the discarded brake caliper, or any cast iron, and have a practice attempt on a small piece. Then go for the real thing!

Of course, folk get trained and qualified in welding, and build careers of practical experience. I have to get somewhere with it, done any other way I can. It may end up hilarious!

This is your golden opportunity to become adept at welding (not brazing?) cast iron. Hopefully you can make time to get some stock & practice as much as possible. I am jealous! I wish that I were in your position (of needing to make it happen).

You have a lot of things to your advantage:
(1) you can weld flat,
(2) you can do it at a bench indoors,
(3) all info & materials & info available to you on the internet.

The practice will probably be pure bliss (without the pressure of working on the compound).

I have never welded or brazed on anything cast.

Back