Ever notice ?

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
How so many threads go off topic. Makes it easy for someone to miss what he was looking for. The original poster may miss an answer to his question when he is scrolling. Or even someone having the same interest. I sometimeswonder why some people don't just use messaging instead of going off topic on a thread.

That would be the time to give the staff a heads-up. And we would take it from there.
**G**

Hey Bill, funny thing just happened. This post was the first thing I read this morning, and I didn't really agree with you. But the second thread I read was "How heavy to build mill stand", and I had to laugh, and come right back here to say that I do agree with you. I would be very interested in reading about the off roading action in Montana, ( I'm an off roader myself),but was there to get opinions about adding weight to my mill base. Sorry If this is offensive to anyone, Merry Christmas, JR49

I know what you mean Bill.
I've seen many instances on many threads in many forums that go off topic. Some are innocent, but others not. I just figured it was the Nature of the Beast. I've caught myself doing it more than once. If I realize it, I delete my post and either PM them or start a new thread, but there are times I've not realized it and posted responses that should have been handled a different way.
As for notifying the staff, depending on what each individual considered to be an "Appropriate" response, this could end up a full time job editing thread responses. I've also seen many instances where other members pointed out when things went off topic and in some instances, the person deleted their response. Not always, but sometimes.
I would hope we, as members, can and should help police for this issue and notify the person(s) responsible if we think things are going Off Topic.

We, the staff, have been pretty lenient on redirecting posts back onto the original subject being asked about. We want you guys and gals to enjoy reading about things being posted and really hate to interfere and redirect. I guess, we are going to have to police the posts and write out tickets to those who violate forum rules. Hum, have to go back and see if there is such an rule.

Nothing wrong with being a little lenient, being too strict would destroy the friendliness that we are all used to. Granted, there are times when we have to nudge things back into line, but the membership generally does a pretty good job of keeping things on track without staff jumping in.

I don't mind a bit of leniency. Would be nice instead of going off topic and continuing the off topic if people would just post something like " hey I'm from the same area can I PM you?"
I have seen post go off topic and get carried off topic for many posts. This kills a thread for me and I just stop watching it because it is no longer what I am interested in keeping track of. This doesn't offend me. It just gets me disinterested in topics that I would otherwise be interested in.
And if I offended anyone I am sorry.

I have mixed feelings on this. I certainly understand Bill's feelings. Especially when we are talking about machine screw taps and end up talking about snow here in Canada. For me that is way off topic.

However I have indeed learned stuff from threads that deviated, but were still about machining even though not exactly on the same topic.

since some of these deviations are indeed interesting to a number of folks, going PM I don't think would be helpful.

Perhaps it is up to all of us to kindly ask the person going off on a tangent to start a new thread if there is sufficient interest.

Above all I want to keep this the friendly hobby machinist forum.

David

I was going to ask if maybe this is something that users should ask each other when people get off topic. I know I some times do, and also I sometimes get mixed up on things in various topics.

Ken

Back