Ever have one of those days?

I'd rather have your day then mine, started out just like everyday in the past eight months. Waiting to see surgeon on July 6th , phone rings it's the Drs office oh were sorry we have to cancel your appointment oh crap I had enough . Why I've waited three months to see him . Going out of the country I'm livid now , next date is August 3rd 10 am . But I guess nothing I can do . I'm not changing from a Jeff Dr to a butcher nearby. Just burst my bubble today waiting suffering ain't no fun.

I didn't mention that the transmission output speed sensor went out too. Luckily just 10 miles from home after a trip to Madison (2 hours each way). That one was easy though.

So. The top hole looks like aluminum, no sign of a helicoil, although I confess I could be missing it. However, the tap won't cut! Oh it did enough damage that the original bolt won't go in, but that's it. Argh. did I mention it's 85F? and T-storms the next 4 days. Double argh.

Oh, and in case someone asks, it's a blind hole so I have all three taps.

Back about two years ago, we had a water pump go bad on my wife's 2005 Toyota Corolla, one with the engine turned sideways. When my son went in with the new water pump, he cross threaded one of the M7 bolts. Well, with only about 4" between it and the wheel housing, immediately turn into a nightmare. Used a right angle drill attachment we picked up at the Blue Box store and a small assortment of short drill bits. After several attempts "free hand" the new hole wasn't on center and the helicoil tap kind of fell into the hole, arggg! Plan C came in place. Took the mount off of the old water pump, drilled and tap the number 5 hole for a home made drill bushing. The hole in the housing bolted to the engine block was filled with liquid metal and let set for a couple of days. Took the drill jig and bolted it in place. Took the right angle drill attachment with the small bit and drilled a pilot hole. Removed the drill bushing and placed a larger bushing for the tap drill for 3/8-24 UNC thread. Yes, I said 3/8-24 thread! Tapped the hole with the drill jig also by using the threads in the jig as a guide. Next, took and drilled out the hole for a close fit 3/8 fine thread bolt in the new water pump flange. Last, modified a bolt to fit. Flanged it up and it's still running today. Feel sorry for the person that has to change it out some day, boy are they going to be surprised!

Back