[Newbie] Ettco Emrick Model 200 Tapping Head

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey everyone. I was digging through my box of “things I don’t know what to do with” and I have come across this tapping head. Some questions...... 1. If the capacity is 3/16 could I not just make an adapter which would allow me to use larger taps? 2. Where would I find collets for these heads (if they are still available)? 3. Any thoughts on what oil to use in the unit? 4. Does anyone know anything about these (no matter how insignificant you believe the information to be) that you could pass on? 5. Can anyone come up with any reason why adapting my Starrett “T” style tap head to fit in the “output” end of this tapping head to allow me to use other taps? All comments, suggestions and ideas are welcomed. Derek. IMG_3641.jpgIMG_3644.jpgIMG_3642.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it says 3/16 capacity, I would not try to use it on larger sizes. Perhaps you could adapt a Jacobs tap chuck to it.

I respect that it clearly says max 3/16”. But my question is referring to the “why not”? What’s wrong with tapping 1/4 inch or 3/8 for that matter? Is it too much for the gears inside? What is the limiting factor? There has to be a reason, I am just curious if anyone knows what that reason might be.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may indeed depend on the gearing, also the friction clutch. I don't know if that unit is geared down between the spindle and tap, I think the one that I have, a different model than that, is one to one, so when tapping, the clutch is the limiting factor, and the gearing is used for fast withdrawl.

Back