Estate sale bandsaws

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
These band saws are going to be at an estate sale next month. The company holding the sale does not have any info on them. Anybody recognize them and know whether they would be metal cutting or wood cutting band saws.
bandsaws.jpg

By the size of the belt cover, yeah, I'd say woodworking saw, due to the likely high blade speed. Odd that there are what appear to be two identical units.

Grab those screw-jack stands while you're at it.
Probably lots of interesting things at this sale.

There is a lot of interesting stuff at this sale. It is an auction. All kinds of tractors and rusty old farm implements. Half a dozen big vises on metal tables. There is an engine lathe. Looks to be at least 16". Couldn't make out the name. A wellsaw horizontal band saw and a newer Delta 15" vertical band saw. Piles of scrap metal. Fruit bin trailers and a bunch of antique wooden farm trailers. Farmers are the original horders. They never throw anything away.

Probably no chance to get any of the vises. There is a local guy who collects vises and he will buy every vise they have.

Here is a link to the auction. https://fresnoauctioncompany.net/event/4-17-21/?instance_id=4559

These are certainly Delta wood band saws, but with the old mounting system like that , could easily be made into great metal bandsaws. +1 on the screw jacks. I wish I were close - I'd fight you for those jacks!

The band saws are old Deltas from the 1940's. Thanks for the info. Found what looks to be the same model and the manual for it. It came in two models. A wood only and a wood and metal band saw. The wood and metal saw has a gear box to reduce the speed for metal cutting. Can't tell from the picture which model these saws are.

I already have a craftsman band saw that I have converted to metal cutting. These deltas would be a better saw to have if they are the wood and metal model. If I got one I would sell the craftsman. The sale is not far from my house. About 20 miles.

I own the Wood/Metal version of the Bandsaws pictured.
You need to see behind the Belt Cover to tell if it has the switchable gear box or not.
If it is the 2 speed version the top large pulley has a Knurled Clutch Engagement Knob.

1617136185566.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the knurled nob to use the wood cutting option. Just speculating that these saws may need some work because they are not being used and there is a newer 15" Delta band saw that is also being auctioned off. You never know what will turn up at these farm estate auctions. Farmers never through anything away.

Back