Ericsson Stirling Cycle hot air pumping engine.

That is great! I've been making a 3d model of this same engine and hope to build it one day.
What materials did you use for the displacer piston, and for sealing the power piston?

Thank you. The bore of this engine is 2.061" ...2 and a sixteenth. The displacer is a piece of 1.75" thin walled tubing about 6" long. This is brazed closed on both ends with fitted caps. The top cap is about 3/16" thick and drilled and taped for the displacer rod.
When I machined the power piston, I got it to within a couple thou of the bore and cut two "ring grooves". Upon assembly I packed the grooves with teflon tape and packed them proud of the piston by a small amount. This allowed the piston to "form" a good seal to the smooth bore. Teflon tape works well this way as it is flexible enough to form a seal and is not affected by temperature, and remains "slippery" enough to not cause too much drag, (which is the downfall of a Stirling engine).
This is a great engine to build and fun to watch run!
Pat

Teflon tape. Like the pipe thread sealant?
If you're willing, I'd like to see some close-up shots of the various parts of your engine.
I started by scaling the Delameter Ericsson catalog drawings, ending up at 1:2 scale of the 5" bore engine. Trying to stay true to the actual design while being build-able with limited equipment.. Here is how far I've gotten so far.Ericsson-delameter5-Half.jpg

Yes, like the pipe thread sealant.
I don't mind taking some close up pics. Do you have specific areas you'd like to see?
It will take me some time, but I'll get to it.
Pat

You should try to contact Live Steam Magazine and see if you can get copies of October, November and December 1978 issues.
Those 3 issues have a great set of drawings printed in the mags of this engine. I used these as a guide to build mine.
Pat

Back