Erector set part number 'JO' crosshead guide bars

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I used to have a pretty large Erector set collection. I started collecting them in 2000 and at one time had over 350 restored sets! I got over the “gotta have ‘em all” mentality and started paring down around 5 years ago. Proud to say at the time of this post I’m down to under 150 sets!

There is an approximately 400 member collecting club called the A. C. Gilbert Heritage Society (www.acghs.org); great group of mainly guys interested in the science toys produced by the A. C. Gilbert Company. We had a member named Joe Long who did an amazing job reproducing parts from the 1920’s and 1930’s. Unfortunately, Joe passed away a few years ago leaving a big void in the group. I’ve been attempting to follow in Joe’s rather large footsteps by starting to reproduce some of the old parts.

The part in particular here is Erector set part JO, crosshead guide bars, used exclusively in the 1931 – 1937 Erector Hudson Locomotive model. Pretty esoteric part to make? Well, a built up Hudson model goes for around $1000 and if you’re missing parts, your options are limited as they are no longer available at the hobby shop! The part JO is a particularly fragile part; “U” shaped section from nickel-plated 0.020” steel. The part was formed in the flat, bent to a “C” section, then notched to form a larger “U” really stressing the metal at the bends. By the way, the built up locomotive is close to 30 inches long.

I started by measuring up an original part. Then cut a piece of steel to fit into the small “U” section. Spotted and drilled 1/8” holes which would be used later with a transfer punch to mark the position of a number of holes.

Developed a blank size by trial and error, overall length was pretty easy, but took a couple of shots to get the blank width correct. The blank is bent up on either side to form a "U" section, tool wide or too narrow of a blank and the section looks like a "J" instead of a "U".

Cut the blanks to size and folded up the “U” section on my DiAcro brake. Used the punch fixture as a positioning guide on the brake. After bending, set the punch fixture in place and transfer punched the holes. Knocked in the holes on my Roper Whitney punch press. The hole fixture also has scribed lines marking the center location of the bend notches. Those locations were transferred to the “U” section with a square and scribe.

The notches were put in with a square file on my Oliver die filer. GREAT tool for working sheet metal by the way.

Last step was to bend the “U” sections into a “C” and give them a little tap on the ends with a hammer to get the sides parallel. Original parts were made from CRS and nickel-plated. I used 304 stainless in a #4 finish for these which is really close in appearance to nickel-plating, plus makes the parts a little more durable. Coming to an Erector set show in your neighborhood!

Bruce

CIMG1278.JPG
Page01.jpg
DSC08364.JPG
DSC08460.JPG
20171126_155751.jpg

20171126_163632.jpg

20171126_161721.jpg

20171126_162811.jpg

20171126_170642.jpg

I don't know about Erector sets, but I can tell someone that is good at making parts. The bends on this piece would screw up anyone's hole dimensions, and this post is a clinic on how to do a difficult job that looks so simple to make.

Wow, EXCELLENT job! Even the way you did this post was EXCELLENT! Question, was using the die filer better than a 90° notcher?...Dave

Bruce,
Great work! This isn't an Erector Set, but I saw this Gilbert set in the Deutsches Museum in Munich and got a kick out of it. Hopefully you will, too.
Evan

IMG_0732.JPG

Wow, EXCELLENT job! Even the way you did this post was EXCELLENT! Question, was using the die filer better than a 90° notcher?...Dave
Hi Dave,

I might be able to use a notcher if I notched the blank before bending up the sides. That might be a better way to make the part. I'd naturally have to control the depth of the notch so it's right at the bottom of the "U" section. Will give that a try when I make up the next batch. Thanks for the tip!

Bruce

Bruce,
Great work! This isn't an Erector Set, but I saw this Gilbert set in the Deutsches Museum in Munich and got a kick out of it. Hopefully you will, too.
Evan

View attachment 248600
Hi Evan,

Thanks for the compliment. Ah, the ubiquitous 1950/51 Atomic Energy set! I had one in my collection that was sold about 4 years ago. They're a running joke in the collecting club, "so how do you think Airport security would react to a carry on with radioactive elements!" That one is in really nice shape, no wonder it's in a museum. They cost $50 back in 1950/51 and go for around $3000 now.

Best regards, Bruce

Hi Dave,

You got me thinking about pre-notching the blank before bending up the "U" section which is the way to go. I have a 4-ton notcher (photo below) which is the perfect tool for the job. Kind of embarrassed to admit that I've accumulated so much stuff in my shop I forget what I have . . . All I'll need to do is make up a little fence that attaches to the table with scribed lines marking the ends of the blank which gets the notches in the right place. Also, a set up jig for the fence for positioning it for proper depth and position on the table. Looks like a POTD! Thanks again for the tip.

Bruce

20161202_161719.jpg

Bruce,
Evan

View attachment 248600
OMG! I had that set, it was a hand down from my cousin. I remember It came with a piece of real uranium ore! Imagine trying to market something like that for kids today, lol.

Bruce,

You're always coming up with these unique projects. I'm too an member of the ACGHS organization. I've made a few repro parts back in the years, too. But nothing like this! Keep up the great work.

And all these darn Erector sets I have laying around here, Wife already has plans for them after I'm gone. It's not good either.

Ken

Bruce,

You're always coming up with these unique projects. I'm too an member of the ACGHS organization. I've made a few repro parts back in the years, too. But nothing like this! Keep up the great work.

And all these darn Erector sets I have laying around here, Wife already has plans for them after I'm gone. It's not good either.

Ken
Hi Ken,

I've been "thinning the herd" so to speak over the last several years. The regional and national shows are really good places to unload stuff; no eBay photo shoots or packing required. Plus a number of guys in the ACGHS still "don't get it". Ebay pretty much sets the prices these days. So when a No. 10 1/2 Amusement Park set nicely restored goes for $225 - $250 on eBay (current sales prices), why on God's green earth would you go to a show with (hopefully) knowledgeable collectors and ask $750? Those types of guys really help me out. At the St. Louis national show a few years ago I was asked why I was selling stuff so cheaply. Had cardboard boxed nice No. 2 1/2 sets there for $10 - $20. I answered, good question, but maybe a better one would be to ask the members asking $100 - $250 for the same set why they are pricing themselves at 5 - 10 times the current market price. I usually sell at least two-thirds of what I bring. Something about being reasonable and realistic in your pricing . . .

No end to projects if I decide to take on a few of the other Hudson parts. Next project(s) will be the JT- JW links. They're a small part that is missing a lot. I've made up a few by hand before, but with the 2-axis CNC they'll be a snap. Make up a fixture block at the proper hole spacing, cut a rough blank to size, knock in the holes, screw to the fixture and mill away. I have 3 incomplete loco's and need, you guessed it, JO's, JT - JW's! Plus it's a way to make a few bucks and support my tool addiction. Bucks for my Bridgeport mill came from about half of my sales this year.

Also helps to have a very supportive wife. She only cares if my hobbies involve gasoline or blond hair.

Bruce

Back