Er32 Vs Dedicated Endmil Holders

Both Lyndex and Techniks are good. The former is made in Japan and has 0.0001" runout. The latter is made in Taiwan with 0.0002" runout specs. I have ER-32 collets from both and both are very accurate. I also have an ER-40 set of ETM (Iscar) collets that are really good.

I run a diamond file over the outside of every slot on an ER collet when I get them to get rid of the burrs present on any new collet. I agree that the potential for damage to the internal taper of the chuck is possible so I use a file.

eBay is your friend if you're patient.

I didn't see it mentioned, but one thing to note is that the end mill holders will generally give you a little runout on the end mill. Of necessity there is clearance in their ID, and when you tighten the set screw it will push the end mill to the opposite side. It's possible they finish grind those ID's a little off center to comp for it, but I doubt it. I can't recall ever actually putting an indicator on one, but I have noticed some visible "wobble" on some end mills. I suspect it is because of this clearance. So then, obviously the more clearance you have, the more runout you will see. If you use an edge finder and just trust the DRO and dial off a cut, you may get a surprise if you didn't know whether the end mill was running true or not.

When considering an ER type tool holder for a mill, there is a distinct advantage in using a Tormach TTS style system. The Tormach ER tool chucks mount in a 3/4" R8 collet and as the collet is tightened, the ER chuck draws tight to the spindle face, giving a very repeatable tool length. Like the quick change tool post system for lathes, it allows rapid interchange of tools without a need for re-referencing for tool offset with each tool change. Should a tool break, a new tool can be mounted and referenced off-line.

I use the TTS system on my Tormach 770 and also adapted it to my old mill/drill. I use the ER20 collets and am limited to 1/2" tool shanks. For any larger tooling, I use an R8 collet or R8 end mill holder but due to limited torque on the Tormach, I rarely use end mills larger than 1/2".

Tormach and several other vendors also supply TTS style collet chucks for ER32 collets.

There are several disadvantages. Adding an ER collet chuck to an R8 collet adds an extra layer for runout. I have had tooling slip in either the collet chuck or the collet chuck slip in the R8 collet. Generally, these are not issues though.

My collection of collets include multiples of 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" plus a full set from 1mm through 13mm to accommodate drills and other tooling. Additionally, I have a TTS boring head, several TTS set screw type end mill holders, and 3 TTS 1/4" three jaw chucks and 3 TTS 1/2" the jaw chucks.

When considering an ER type tool holder for a mill, there is a distinct advantage in using a Tormach TTS style system. The Tormach ER tool chucks mount in a 3/4" R8 collet and as the collet is tightened, the ER chuck draws tight to the spindle face, giving a very repeatable tool length. Like the quick change tool post system for lathes, it allows rapid interchange of tools without a need for re-referencing for tool offset with each tool change. Should a tool break, a new tool can be mounted and referenced off-line.

I use the TTS system on my Tormach 770 and also adapted it to my old mill/drill. I use the ER20 collets and am limited to 1/2" tool shanks. For any larger tooling, I use an R8 collet or R8 end mill holder but due to limited torque on the Tormach, I rarely use end mills larger than 1/2".

Tormach and several other vendors also supply TTS style collet chucks for ER32 collets.

There are several disadvantages. Adding an ER collet chuck to an R8 collet adds an extra layer for runout. I have had tooling slip in either the collet chuck or the collet chuck slip in the R8 collet. Generally, these are not issues though.

My collection of collets include multiples of 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" plus a full set from 1mm through 13mm to accommodate drills and other tooling. Additionally, I have a TTS boring head, several TTS set screw type end mill holders, and 3 TTS 1/4" three jaw chucks and 3 TTS 1/2" the jaw chucks.
I was not familiar with the TTS to ER 32 system, and already purchased an R8 to ER32 and the price is reasonable

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Back