ER32 Collets to R8 and MT3

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have had several milling machines in the last 25 years and all with an R8 taper. I have been getting by with a 6 piece set of R8 collets but that can cause several problems. Many times I will spot a series of holes on a work piece and then remove it and finish drilling the hole on the drill press. I do have a drill chuck on an R8 collet but some times I didn't plan ahead far enough so the chuck wouldn't fit without raising the head. (round column mill) That usually doesn't work out too well.
I wanted a collet set that would allow me to drill a hole to the recommended thread size (1/4" X 20 uses a #7 drill) with out installing the drill chuck. After some research I found that a set of ER32 metric collets from 2 to 20mm would cover just about every size drill bit I had.
I bought a set of metric collets and a R8 to ER32 adapter. I can now use the Er collets in both of the mills and in my end mill sharpener.

c1.jpg

I also wanted to be able to use them in the lathe so while I was waiting for them to come I made a Morse taper 3 blank adapter. I also made a draw bar for the adapter when I used it in the lathe head.
I cut a 1.5mm thread on the outside and a 8 degree internal taper.

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

Here it is in the tail stock.

c5.jpg

I didn't care for the yellow boxes and drawer space is at a premium so I made this rack.

c6.jpg

I made room for the R8 collets too. Mounted to the side of the mill.

c7.jpg

I don't know why I didn't do this years ago it would have saved me some grief.
R8 adapter, collet nut, collet wrench, and 19 collets were less than $80

Ant body want some nice little yellow boxes?

Thanks for looking

Ray

Too ambitious for me. I just filled out my R8 set that went up by 16ths with collets to fill in the 32nds. And I bought a rack. I think I spent less than $80 too.

I saved the plastic containers that the collets came in though. I use them for oddball cutters and other such things. I label them and stack them on their sides in the corner of a shelf.

Last edited:
I used a set of plastic boxes collets came in for drill and tap sets. A tap drill, a clearance drill and a number of taps, starter, bottom, spiral flute, etc. It's handy to pull out a box and have whatever you need for that size thread.

I've had an ER 32 x R8 collet chuck, in my mill for the last 4-5 years, I've never taken it out. I like the ER collets, seem to hold better than the R8 collets, I also like the two wrenches next to each other when tightening/loosening the collet nut.

Back