ER-40 D1-5 Mount

The problematic area that I see would be after cutting the spindle bore and taper out, transferring the plate to the mill to drill and tap for the camlocks.

If you face the front of the plate parallel to the back you can put it front face down on the mill center up on the taper and drill and tap your holes for your pins and the retaining screws. Then mount it back on the lathe and finish the front. As long as you mount it the same way each time your ER chuck will run as concentric as it is made to its mounting counterbore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally mated the back plate I made to the ER40 Collet Chuck.
First thing I did was make the recess deeper on the ER chuck using the 4J. Originally I was going to use a precision bar held in an ER collet in the spindle and attach the collet chuck to that. Two problems with the idea was that I only have one collet per size and the collet that fits in the spindle needs a draw bar. Since my ground piece was to long so that wouldn't work. Looking back I could of just turned a piece of stock down. I don't think it needed to be a precision rod, as long as I turned it down I think that is what would matter. Anyway, didn't think of that at the time.
Now I faced the back plate with the correct register. The chuck fit on really nice and tight, had to tap it on with a dead blow.
At this point something went wrong I believe. I had to take the back plate off to drill and tap for the chuck, removing all the camlocks. I made a witness mark previous to this so the back plate went on the same way.
Got everything back together and run out was unacceptable .005" - .009" depending on how I mounted the back plate.
Took off the chuck and checked the face of the back plate, same thing.
I took a clean up cut across the back plate and also took some off the register diameter.
Mounted the chuck but had to tap out the run out. I got it down to ~ .0004". I'm satisfied with that.thumbnail_IMG_20170804_193747389_HDR.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20170806_243920818.jpg

Back