ER-40 Collet chuck

acmef150

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone , I was wondering if someone could give me the thread size of a ER-40 collet chuck with a MT5 shank , I need the size of the small shank end .

Hello and welcome to the site!
I'm not sure what you are asking for. Do you need the small diameter of the MT5 taper? Do you need the thread diameter for the ER nut? Do you need the size of the threaded drawbar hole that threads into the small end of the MT5 taper?
Please clarify so we can help you.
-Randall

It would seem to me that an ER 40 chuck with an MT5 shank would only have threads where the capture nut screws on, unless there is provision for a built in stop rod.
Or am I missing something? Could be....

Hello and welcome to the site!
I'm not sure what you are asking for. Do you need the small diameter of the MT5 taper? Do you need the thread diameter for the ER nut? Do you need the size of the threaded drawbar hole that threads into the small end of the MT5 taper?
Please clarify so we can help you.
-Randall
Sorry Randall thought I made it clear , I need the thread size of the small end where a draw bar attaches . There may be several types of this shank , but the ones I have seen on E-Bay have a threaded end on the small shank end .

Thanks , John

OK, John. Got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not sure if there is a standard drawbar thread for the MT5 shank. If it was not mentioned in the ad or liturature for the chuck that you purchased, you'll likely need to measure it when you have it in-hand. I was hoping that you needed info that is actually standardized for the MT5 taper or for the ER40 end. Sorry I'm not more help at this point.
-Randall

OK, John. Got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not sure if there is a standard drawbar thread for the MT5 shank. If it was not mentioned in the ad or liturature for the chuck that you purchased, you'll likely need to measure it when you have it in-hand. I was hoping that you needed info that is actually standardized for the MT5 taper or for the ER40 end. Sorry I'm not more help at this point.
-Randall
Thanks Randall , I will have to wait till I get one in my hands to figure it out , Patience is a Virtue I guess , LOL .

Are you wanting to make your own MT5 collet chuck or figure out what you have? MT5 mill tooling is not very common. Just curious, what mill do you have that takes MT5 tooling? If making your own, just stick with whatever drawbar your mill currently uses.

As far as I remember, there is not an industry standard for morse taper tooling drawbar threads. They come both ways, metric & imperial threads.

MT5 tooling draw bar threads are available in either M20x2.5 or 5/8"-11 but there could be others.

Back