Equifax Debackle...are you affected ???

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Last night I learned about the Equifax security breech and wanted to see if people here were aware.
Evidently, Equifax (one of the big 3 credit bureaus) was hacked. The hackers got the personal info of over 143 million Americans up to and including Social Security numbers, addresses, birthdays, credit card numbers, and credit history.
From what I researched, the waited 6 weeks after they found the breech before announcing it. The timeline went something like this:
Hacked in May, found out in July, and announced in September. In the time between finding out and announcing it, 3 of the top Execs (including the CFO) sold over $2 million in stock and someone (undisclosed) short sold a huge number of shares resulting in a $24 million gain. The execs claimed no knowledge of the hack when they sold their stocks...Oh really !!!
Here's links to a couple YouTube videos describing the whole thing better. Warning !!! the language on the second is on the rough side.

IMO... it was only a matter of time... before something like this happened.

IMO the problem with a totally digital financial system... is the security of the digits...
And as we have so painfully seen... not everyone seems to care about security... they even appear to intentionally profit from the lack of security...

IMO there is nothing wrong with real money and checks... it is probably as close to an honest system as we are gonna get... (how about lets not discuss the Federal reserve... that would be a political discussion).

Yeah and now they even have wireless pacemakers. Hope I'll stick with the ICD I have. Don't need some hacker getting into the ICD and have me flopping all over the ground

Friend of mine in AR had a pace maker the doctor could call up by phone to check function/battery
I used to tease him that a robo caller would call his pacemaker and demand a ransom.

Yeah and now they even have wireless pacemakers. Hope I'll stick with the ICD I have. Don't need some hacker getting into the ICD and have me flopping all over the ground

There is no way I would have any gadget my health depended on (especially my life)... that was open to the internet or cell towers...
Now if I could do a BT scan, package the information in a secure file, and ship it to the doc... that would be fine...
However monitoring in real time... I can see the headlines now: Mr Jones (random name) died from a pace-maker failure due to hacking... authorities are investigating who sent the hack signal that caused the failure.

The internet is a great thing, as are cell phones...
However IMO some things should not be 'on line'... :)

This is kinda off subject:

Was talking to a customer (heating and AC... at his home)... his job is alarm and CCTV installer/tech.
He was telling me about a security glitch he found and plugged... at the local office of an investment broker (name to remain anonymous)... seems feeds from the CCTV were being viewed by someone in China... watching the screens of the brokers on CCTV, in real time.

I asked him how to absolutely stop that... he said to not have your home security system available to your cell phone in real time.
Thought about it for a bit... and decided the advantages of seeing my home in real time... were not worth the potential for anyone to see it... and the DVR (called an NVR if it is all digital) of the camera feeds would be adequate.

Just a thought... :)

So Martha Stewart was sent to prison for acting on the advice of her stock broker and these three yahoos from Equifax delayed the release to the public of the security breach to more than 143 million Americans for six weeks so they could unload $2 million worth of shares of Equifax stock and they claim they did nothing wrong?

Oh, and by the way, we are not the customers. We are the product.

Back