Enlighten Me on Chuck/Faceplate Mounts on HF 12 x 36 Lathe

Steve M

Active User
Registered
My recently acquired,cleaned and now running Central Machinery 12 x 36 geared head lathe has a D series cam lock chuck, something new to me. The lathe only has a three jaw chuck and I'd like to pick up both a four jaw and faceplate. The chuck mount has four equally spaced pins the cam locks hook to. Iam not sure of the diameter of the pin circle but the mounting plate is approx 4.625" in diameter. The chuck itself is 6". I know that the chuck and mount are "D" series but can't find any more information than that in the specs. Also, I know the four jaw mounts this way but I am not sure that is the case for the faceplate.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to figure out what to order. I'd check the archives here but I am locked out if the search function until I put up a certain number of posts.

I think I am also going to be looking for a AXA wedge type tool post.

Thanks,

Steve

..Iam not sure of the diameter of the pin circle ...
Steve,
With 4 equally spaced pins, just measure outside to outside of 2 opposing pins and then subtract the diameter of one pin.

Cheers Phil

Here you go, about half way down.
http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/chuckmt.html

One word of caution when adjusting the studs.
If you are adjusting the stud length, ALWAYS put the stud locking screws back in before trying the chuck on the lathe spindle. If you don't, and a stud happens to turn on you, you will not be able to get the chuck off.

Ouch, that would really hurt... You'd probably need to drill the stud out from the face side.

Here you go, about half way down.
http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/chuckmt.html

One word of caution when adjusting the studs.
If you are adjusting the stud length, ALWAYS put the stud locking screws back in before trying the chuck on the lathe spindle. If you don't, and a stud happens to turn on you, you will not be able to get the chuck off.

Steve,
With 4 equally spaced pins, just measure outside to outside of 2 opposing pins and then subtract the diameter of one pin.

Cheers Phil

Never heard this before. Which D1 spindle has 4 pins? I've only seen 3 & 6.

Never heard this before. Which D1 spindle has 4 pins? I've only seen 3 & 6.

None -and that's why I'm scratching my head and asked for a picture. I figured the OP just had a typo.

D1-3,4 have 3 studs with 120* spacing. D1-5 and up, can have 6 with 60* spacing...

I think I just figured it out... It's probably a D1-5 with only 4 studs installed. Still seems odd to have a D1-5 on a 1236.

Trivia: With a 60* hole spacing, the radius from center to hole is identical to the center-to-center from adjacent holes.

None -and that's why I'm scratching my head and asked for a picture. I figured the OP just had a typo.

D1-3,4 have 3 studs with 120* spacing. D1-5 and up, can have 6 with 60* spacing...

I think I just figured it out... It's probably a D1-5 with only 4 studs installed. Still seems odd to have a D1-5 on a 1236.

Trivia: With a 60* hole spacing, the radius from center to hole is identical to the center-to-center from adjacent holes.

Sorry guys, it was a typo. It has three pins. I've got a flu bug and lots of meds going on and my head isn't working 100%, not that it ever does. After seeing the table an earlier poster sent and digging through the several manuals for this machine online, I decided it was a D1-4.

Seems there is a whole family of these machines out there from 12x24 to 13x40 that are essentially the same. Interestingly, there is a lot of variation in the manuals, depending on who sells the machine and what machine it is. Sometimes, the machines sold by the same company have considerably different manuals but allhave the same specs.

Thanks for the help. My expertise is in operating and deveolping airplnes, woodworking, and to a degree, welding so I am on a steep part of the learning curve. I have gotten to know my 3 in 1 pretty well but this is a much different beast. I have found D1-4 faceplates so one is now on my wish list in addition to the four jaw chuck.

Today I uncover the 10x28 mill I got with the lathe and bring it into the shop to set it up.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have a HF 12x36 lathe. Mine came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and a face plate. The face plate is not a good one, it's off center and the casting cleanup on it was poorly done. I was wondering what source you found for a face plate?

Thanks,
Glen

Glen,

Hi... If you're inspired, you can clean-up that rough faceplate by yourself. Look in the Metrology section for a thread called "D1-4 Chuck Measurement" or something along that line and look it over. You'll see how to adjust the internal taper. Once it's fitting on the spindle properly, you can just true-up the face and sides then, run it at speed and possibly do a static balance if it shakes too much. All the basics are outlined in that thread... Even those "economy" face plates are costing 80 (US) bucks or more.

If you really get in a pinch, just buy a D1-4 back plate from Shars or wherever and bolt a larger diameter plate to it. Even those are about 50 bucks...

Yeah, when you're using a face plate is always because you're doing precision work and then the crummy plate and dog shake the daylights out of things...

Ray

Hi Steve,

I have a HF 12x36 lathe. Mine came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and a face plate. The face plate is not a good one, it's off center and the casting cleanup on it was poorly done. I was wondering what source you found for a face plate?

Thanks,
Glen

Hi Steve,

Thanks,
Glen

So far, I haven't purchased anything for the lathe. I have been concentrating on getting the Central Machinery mill going and am tooling it up instead. I maybuy an AXA type tool post next.

Steve

Back