Engraving Accurate Scale On 1/8" Steel Bar?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I would like to engrave a scale on my Starrett C182's protractor to 64's as accurately
as possible. Can I blacken the engraved marks? How can I do this? I want to use the protractor to gage drills during grinding/sharpening. Thanks

Do you mean to put grads on the bar part? How about you modify a regular scale to fit the head with the deg marks. Or, attach a scale onto the bar…Dave.

Yes, put the grads on the bar. That's a good idea, machining a scale to the same shape and the
hole size. If I can find a scale of the same thickness, maybe I can modify it, but I would like to know
how to engrave the stock Starrett bar also.

Is the Starett hardened?

No. Satin finish steel.

Attachments

• C183+ (1).pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 2
Can you set it up in the mill and use a 60 degree lathe tool to mark the scale, using the table to calibrate.

I'll copying the Starrett protractor bar and bluing and scribing the lines then engrave them
on the mill. Can a scale image be lasered or silk screened on the metal? or a clear image
of a 64th grad scale be glued on? A clear plastic transfer?

It can certainly be laser etched if you have a shop that will do it for you.

An aerosol of PCB etch-resist and laser / inkjet print a transparency drawn in CAD, then UV expose, develop and etch the graduations with e.g. ferric chloride?

Back