Engine case sealant

Yup I mentioned that on the first page. I never felt like I needed on the many VW’s I did. None of my engines ever leaked. I ran my 1300 to 130,000mi and got scared as it was the only engine I’d ever kept that long. Never leaked and when I went to split case it came apart easily. I will never bother with anything else as Aeroseal is it for me. YMMV.
That is good sheet. I forgot about the (one plus) silk thread technique. Thanks again

They did it with a strand of silk... and to think GM couldn't even seal a crankshaft with a piece of rope!

Yup I mentioned that on the first page. I never felt like I needed on the many VW’s I did. None of my engines ever leaked. I ran my 1300 to 130,000mi and got scared as it was the only engine I’d ever kept that long. Never leaked and when I went to split case it came apart easily. I will never bother with anything else as Aeroseal is it for me. YMMV.
The 1300 was an exceptional motor.

The 1300 was an exceptional motor.
For me it was. Only made one year, 1966. It stood up to the insane heat of the San Joaquin Valley. At or above 100f from May to Oct and I put that 130,000mi commuting from Merced to Reedley/Visalia and Merced to Yosemite during the summer when I was going to aircraft school. Just kept good oil Castrol 10-40 in winter and straight 50w racing oil in the summer. The old 1200 and 1300 you didn’t have to worry about dropping an exhaust valve like with 1500&1600. The 1300 had that extra couple of ponies that I could get up the hills going to Yosemite where my old 1200/40hp was a struggle. Bonus was that 66 bug had the factory sunroof. 30mpg no matter what. Livin’ large :)

Had one in a ‘57 Baja Bug. 28 PICT carb, Tee- Pee headers, centrifugal advance distributor, hot coil, and and a few other mods. Weighed in at about 1300 lbs. and that thing would fly.

They did it with a strand of silk... and to think GM couldn't even seal a crankshaft with a piece of rope!
Pontiac just about hung itself with that short piece of rope.
By the time I got around to building one of them seriously a 2 piece rubber seal was available.

Back