End Of An Era...

I remember going to RS when i wss young...you could get any minute single part you needed for anything electric/electronic. I went there about 5 years ago for a 2 pole switch and a 15a fuse...they had neither & told me about tiger electronics online. I knew then RS was no longer what they were yet can't get onboard with whats going on in the world. Sad, Wards, Sears, JC Pennys and others....i blame WalMart for all this!

It seems retail stores now days do not do well, if they do not have all high moving stock. Used to be you could get a camera, and all kinds of accessories to go with it, and several years later still get those same accessories, to add to your collection. Now days, you are lucky if you can find the same model camera sold any where, after 6 months. Companies make xx million of the same model, and when they are finished, they switch to the next model. Sears used to carry the same 1/2" Craftsman wrench for 10 years or more, smae wrench came in the tool sets, or individually. If you brought one back for the warranty, they could get one from the shelf. Now every batch made, is likely different, and from a different factory. Not many things any more made the same for more then a year or so. Metal working tools, and many accessories are the biggest area that I can think of that does not change as quick. I'm sure there are others. But in general, people expect to see things change every year or less.

Retail floor space is expensive, stores can no longer afford to stock low volume sales items. That switch and fuse, are no longer items that draw someone to the store, and hope they buy other items. Not that Radio Shack did not give it a good attempt. Over the years, they switched there main stock from Audio components, to computers, to Radio control, to cell phones, to Whatever, They just never made the connection with the public, to keep them coming back.

Back