end milll in lathe chuck?

Not the best thing to use a chuck. IF YOU MUST,wrap a single layer of brown paper bag paper around the shaft of the end mill. Leave the ends of the paper to meet between two jaws. Paper without clay in it will hold like crazy. I also use paper to hold slippery metals like brass or aluminum in my smooth jawed mill vise. It never,ever slips with paper. ALSO,NEVER make a bushing for holding end mills out of BRASS!!!! Decades ago I did this,and as tight as I could get the draw bar,the end mill would suck right out when cutting.

Hi George, a brown paper bag that's recycled; how do you know the clay content? I'm thinking a spinning end mill shank on clay would act similar to a reamer and could enlarge a chuck.

I've also heard others say to use collets and then some disagree and say to use collet chucks or some other holding device. The main issue I have is the price of collets and that drawbar thing that holds them. I downloaded some drawbar blueprints and may try to make one myself

cheers

Dave

I use end mills in a lathe and finally figure out that the smaller end mill are less accurate than a 3/4 mill , using a drawbar holds the end mill better

Pay attention to conventional milling vs climb milling. Conventional only, which in the lathe means milling by moving the work from the front of the lathe to the back or away from the operator. Chuck

Maybe I don't fully understand what climb milling vs conventional milling is. I though as long as the cutting teeth are rotating against the feed it's conventional, and if they're rotating with the feed it is climb. If that's true then on a lathe the cross slide direction would be dependent on whether you're using the top or the bottom of the cutter. If I'm all wet on this somebody dry me off.

Clay is what that use to make coated paper, it is usually white to the best of my knowledge. Brown paper is kraft paper, its in its natural state shouldnt be any clay content. Mind you, I am a machinist in a coated paper mill. I am not a papermaker, so I could be mistaken.

Maybe I don't fully understand what climb milling vs conventional milling is. I though as long as the cutting teeth are rotating against the feed it's conventional, and if they're rotating with the feed it is climb. If that's true then on a lathe the cross slide direction would be dependent on whether you're using the top or the bottom of the cutter. If I'm all wet on this somebody dry me off.

We did a little discussing climb cutting in this thread.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/17873-Help-machining-this-part?highlight=climb+cut

Back