End mill leaving a line in the middle

jmx66

Registered
Registered
I have this carbide endmill and it leaves a line in the middle of the work. Is there anything that can be done about it?
35561559424_66d708a540_c.jpg

Shift the endmill a little sideways, relative to the work, then the line won't be down the middle. :hammer:

That's also happened to me and never knew why. What I ended up doing is taking three cutting passes instead of two and it seemed to help. No idea why.

One of the cutting edges is lower (longer)in the center ??? Relieve it and the line will go away. Just my guess, it's 3:00 am so possible I'm not awake fully.

Is it a groove or a ridge? If it's a groove then Russ probably has it, the centre-cutting edge has a pip that you could take off with a diamond lap, if it's a ridge... Ye cannae change the laws of Physics (or Geometry), Cap'n! and I can't see how that could happen...

Dave H. (the other one)

Take you your flat file and draw file the surface little, with a very light force and smooth out the ridge and you should be good!

Thanks guys! Will give it a shot and report the result.

Yep, put it under a magnifier and found it. Hit it with Dremel and now good as new. Thanks again.

Back