• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

End mill leaving a line in the middle

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jmx66

I have this carbide endmill and it leaves a line in the middle of the work. Is there anything that can be done about it?

dave_r_1

Shift the endmill a little sideways, relative to the work, then the line won't be down the middle. :hammer:

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
That's also happened to me and never knew why. What I ended up doing is taking three cutting passes instead of two and it seemed to help. No idea why.

rgray

Active User
One of the cutting edges is lower (longer)in the center ??? Relieve it and the line will go away. Just my guess, it's 3:00 am so possible I'm not awake fully.

British Steel

Active User
Is it a groove or a ridge? If it's a groove then Russ probably has it, the centre-cutting edge has a pip that you could take off with a diamond lap, if it's a ridge... Ye cannae change the laws of Physics (or Geometry), Cap'n! and I can't see how that could happen...

Dave H. (the other one)

4gsr

HM Shop Superintendent
Staff member
Take you your flat file and draw file the surface little, with a very light force and smooth out the ridge and you should be good!

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
From the patterns of the cutter's path, it just about has to be a pip sticking out in the middle of the end mill. A round or similarly shaped diamond Dremel tool would make quick work of it.

jmx66

Yep, put it under a magnifier and found it. Hit it with Dremel and now good as new. Thanks again.

Wreck™Wreck

Active User
In 30 years working in the business I have never seen a milling machine that will not leave visual artifacts at the bottom of a pocket made with an end mill regardless of the cost of the tool or machine, what the human eye can see is well beyond sub-micron levels of surface finish, you can't feel it and you can't easily measure it but it is easily seen. End mills are hollow ground on the end for this reason, the edges cut and you are not dragging the not cutting part across the work. I suspect that very low end tool manufacturers/marketers do not do this. Buy an $80.00 tool and do the same job then report back and let us know how it worked.

[6]
[5] [7]