Enclosure For Sherline 2000 Mill

This is what it looks like with the sill. Sherline was kind enough to bring out a bellows setup to cover the Y axis lead screw just in time for this project. What a great outfit.

encl3.jpg
setup1.jpg

I'd forgotten that I posted this. As it turns out, using the mister, I've had no problem with accumulation of waste coolant - there just isn't much. It seems to stick to the chips which makes them a bit sticky. I mostly cut aluminum using the mister and HDPE without any lubricant. I've been very happy both with the enclosure and the Sherline Mill. I've been using a battery LED worklight to make it possible to see what I'm doing. IKEA has recently started selling Jansjo LED work lights for $10.00 +/- which I've added to my other machines and will now install inside the enclosure.

Last edited:
I took advantage of the 20% Discount that Sherline had for the 2000 Mill for December. It’s the 1st Mill I’ve ever purchased before, well if I’m being Honest it’s the 1st Mill Machine I’ve ever actually seen that wasn’t in a photo! I just purchased a Sherline 4000 Lathe a year ago, & was just waiting for the right opportunity to add a mill. 20% off did the trick, especially on this 8-Directional machine. Put it together easy enough. I just need to get everything squared up (so I had to order a few new Quality Measurement tools/gauges…
I blocked up a 3”X 1" Chunk of 6061 & popped in a 3/8" End Mill , just to test it out...I noticed several new things immediately...A: The Ease of how smooth & easy it cuts through the material (BUTTER) & B: CHIPS AHOY!!!! Never had Chips fly like this on the Lathe…
So I’m glad I came across this Article & the enclosure you crafted…Gave me several ideas for Chip Abatement, (I’m no where near the CNC area like your setup…(Very cool BTW) some day maybe …
Lee
ZenModeling

Attachments

• 741ECE1A-59D2-46B3-BAE5-0650462285A7.jpeg
    741ECE1A-59D2-46B3-BAE5-0650462285A7.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 21
  • FAE4A02D-0D64-4F85-BADC-CABFA7C7B5C6.jpeg
    FAE4A02D-0D64-4F85-BADC-CABFA7C7B5C6.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 21
The thing that amazes me is that the chips can make it two miles from the shop to our condo. and then hide from me but not my wife.

I would say that the mister does cut down a lot on this.

Back