[Source] EMCO Compact 8 lathe parts

compact8

Registered
Registered
I have owned an EMCO Compact 8 lathe for almost 20 years and just recently I found that extensive cracks have developed in the lead screw mounts of the cross slide table and that of the compound. Has any Compact 8 owner experienced the same thing ?

leadscrewmountcompound.jpg

leadscrewmountcrossslidetable.jpg
Anyway, these two parts will need be replaced. I understand that the EMCO division making hobby machines is already out of business but is there any chance that some suppliers may still be carrying these parts ? Any information that will help to bring my compact 8 back to live again will be very much appreciated.

leadscrewmountcompound.jpg leadscrewmountcrossslidetable.jpg

i think after Armors idea you should search EBay . I would think there would be a source for them even used as many of them as there were. Is your shop to small to maybe make those yourself or part of them? Hope you find a solution and get back to work.
dickr

Thanks to Dickr and Armor. I will check it out .

If at the end I have to fabricate these parts , may I know what materials should be used ? These parts are not subject to high stress so strength is not a big conern ( Aluminum alloys such as T7075 should do ) but as the lead screws run in these parts, resistence to wearing may be the prime consideration. Any advice will be appreciated.

Are you aware that the Emco 8 & 10 were cloned by the Chinese to come out with their small lathe line of 7x12/9x20's? almost a direct copy...

If you had asked what those came off of, I would have said "oh yeah thats off one of the Chinese 9x20s!" Over the last few days I have been helping a friend do the tool post/compound/cross feed mod to his 9x20 and have handled those 2 pieces several times - appearance is identical

Anyway, there are many postings on these mods/improvements that are directly concerning making new/improved versions of them. Start a search/post about the Chinese 9x20. You can make your new parts and modify them for the improvements at the same time!

Back