EM-56-P Spindle Bearings.

Graves

Registered
Registered
Holy cow! I know that I’m getting old and that I don’t understand much of the world anymore, but $1350 for two taper roller bearings??? Guess I won’t be taking on any aerospace jobs.

:eek 2: Oof, that's nearly what I paid for my lathe...

Fortunately mine seem to be OK. I unscrewed the oil cups and flushed a bunch of congealed goop that used to be spindle oil out of them when I brought the lathe home, then ran it for 30 minutes with WD-40 in the cups to dissolve anything else in there before doing a final flush and filling with DTE24

I've heard of people putting standard grade bearings in some lathes with good results - might be worth a shot at that price.

As an option, some of those lathes could use either plain or roller bearings from what I recall.

:eek 2: Oof, that's nearly what I paid for my lathe...

Fortunately mine seem to be OK. I unscrewed the oil cups and flushed a bunch of congealed goop that used to be spindle oil out of them when I brought the lathe home, then ran it for 30 minutes with WD-40 in the cups to dissolve anything else in there before doing a final flush and filling with DTE24

I've heard of people putting standard grade bearings in some lathes with good results - might be worth a shot at that price.
Right? I'm going to install the class 2 (standard) bearings for now, no plans for making real precision stuff, if it becomes an issue I'll look into upgrading. Maybe I can find some NOS somewhere for less $$$. Cleaning all of the goo, 70 years worth it looks like, off of the inner workings has been a chore, but it's getting there. What are you guys using for solvent these days? Used the last of mine and need a substitute.

I cleaned mine up with WD-40. Worked ok, though it doesn't dissolve stuff as well as true solvents.

My previous lathe I cleaned up with solvent from my tank. I think it cut through the crud a bit better, but that lathe was cruddier and needed it :)

That solvent is called PSC 1000:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal

I'm pretty happy with it - it does a decent job of cleaning and I haven't had any issues with flash rust like I've seen with some other solvents (I did get some surface rust on a few parts a couple weeks after cleaning them, but my shop hit 90% humidity, so it's to be expected - should have oiled them and got my dehumidifier set up sooner)

Back