Ellis 1100 Bandsaw Restoration And Modifications

TearDown

While tearing down the cutting head I had to make a gear pulling tool to get the drive wheel off of the gear box. It wasn't coming off with out it.

Head Teardown - 18.JPG Head Teardown - 02.JPG Head Teardown - 16.JPG

[QoTE=RandyM;179544]Will, are you watching Craig's List? They don't show up very often and when they do, they are usually the bigger models. I was really lucky finding a 1100 it is just the right size for me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have been off & on but not looking very much. I did come across something that looked similar to you & I believe it was an Ellis but I don't remember the model number or how big it was. I'll keep my eye out for the 1100 so I can see how big it is.

Will

Will,

The 1100 is the smallest that Ellis makes, they just go up in size from there. This saw uses an 8 foot blade if that helps give you perspective. For me it was just the next logical size step up from my 4x6 Enco. Oh, and if you see one on Craig's List don't hesitate, they go pretty quickly.

Will,

The 1100 is the smallest that Ellis makes, they just go up in size from there. This saw uses an 8 foot blade if that helps give you perspective. For me it was just the next logical size step up from my 4x6 Enco. Oh, and if you see one on Craig's List don't hesitate, they go pretty quickly.

Thanks Randy, good info. I'll keep an eye out, I've seen Ellis pop up before, just never knew anything about them so I thought nothing of them. I know condition is everything but what is a fair price range for an 1100? Around here, people on Craigslist think older machinery is gold & try to sell them for high prices like they were collectable antiques or something. A bit of exaggeration but many people really are nuts.

Darn it Randy! Now you've got me scanning Craig's list and local ads for a small Ellis like this one. Very nice saw.

You're doing a bang up job on the beautification.

-Ron

I know condition is everything but what is a fair price range for an 1100?

Will, he was asking $1200 and we agreed on $1000. They sell for $2500 new. Yeah, everything is always worth more when you are selling.

Darn it Randy! Now you've got me scanning Craig's list and local ads for a small Ellis like this one. Very nice saw.

You're doing a bang up job on the beautification.

-Ron

Thank you Ron, Nice to know my job here is done. :lmao:

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a shot of some parts straight from the blast cabinet and ready for powder coating. Also, the head frame is all mounted and ready for assembly.

Blasted Parts.JPG Head Assembly - 01.JPG Head Assembly - 02.JPG

Looking good Randy. I'm thinking you may have been an artist in a previous life!

Will, he was asking $1200 and we agreed on $1000. They sell for $2500 new. Yeah, everything is always worth more when you are selling.

Thanks Randy.

WOW, that looks brand new.....probably better than brand new!

I had one of these in my shop when I was a 2-man division of a large sign company. I bought it new and can't say enough about how useful these are. The machines we made were fussy for cleanliness so the dry cutting was actually a plus. The only disadvantage, as my memory serves me, was that they were a little hard to visually set up a cut. We managed anyway. Super job on your restoration efforts. I too like to see things neatly restored. I'm in the long term ("spare" time) process of repainting my Harrison M300 long-bed lathe. I guess I gott'a wait for better weather since the egregious increase in cost of propane.

Looking good Randy. I'm thinking you may have been an artist in a previous life!

Thanks Steve, but if I recall correctly you are a gifted artist yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

I had one of these in my shop when I was a 2-man division of a large sign company. I bought it new and can't say enough about how useful these are. The machines we made were fussy for cleanliness so the dry cutting was actually a plus. The only disadvantage, as my memory serves me, was that they were a little hard to visually set up a cut. We managed anyway. Super job on your restoration efforts. I too like to see things neatly restored. I'm in the long term ("spare" time) process of repainting my Harrison M300 long-bed lathe. I guess I gott'a wait for better weather since the egregious increase in cost of propane.

Thanks for the info Harry. Yeah, that propane shortage and price hikes are not what we needed this winter.

Back