Electrical Help Please

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am electrically challenged and need some help with an old Jet 1340 lathe. I picked it up for cheap and am now just getting it back together. It is a 220 single phase system and don’t have the correct manual. I do have a questionable schematic. The system has a transformer that drops the voltage to 120 Volts for the relays and switches. I have gotten the Lathe motor working properly in forward and reverse. My problem is with the coolant pump. I have enclosed pictures of the relays, etc. The contactor marked “CCC” is what I am having problems. When I push on the button marked “CCC” the coolant motor runs. What I can’t figure out is , how to actuate that contactor electrically? I don’t know if I have a bad contactor or it is just hooked up improperly. What terminals actuate the contactor? I tried to hook it up per my schematic and nothing happens.

TIA
Randy
IMG_20160312_170902.jpg IMG_20160312_170837.jpg

We're going to need to know the motor voltage and wiring diagram , if it needs a contactor it's more likely 220 . Ck your output voltage if it's not enough to operate the contactor it won't be able to make the connection. They're magnetic , if voltage is right the points inside may be dirty. Try getting some contact spray cleaner that stuff works well . Even Walmart sells it in there auto section. Other then that keep trying you'll figure it out . Only bad thing is try not letting the magic smoke out . Just trying to help ,look for others who may have more experience here.

Yes I did push the reset. The motor is 220 and it does run when I push the CCC button.
Randy

the contactor coils are usually marked A1 and A2 , by applying 110VAC (nominal) you can operate the contactor.
the portion of the contactor with the red dial is an overload relay.
overload relays are frail in comparison to the contactor it's attached to.
a quick test to see if the overload has failed would be to jumper the 2 wires on the lower right side of the relay, or connect them both, to a single terminal.
the overload makes and breaks the contactors holding circuit, if the OL has failed or there is other fault in the circuit, the pump will not operate.
if i can help out further, i'd be happy to...

Power should come in on the top right terminal to the coil and go through the overload block on the bottom right to the other line depending on the coil voltage it would be either the neutral or another line.

the contactor coils and controls are controlled by 110vac, provided by the transformer

Back