• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Electrical Discharge Machine Version 2 (edmv2)

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
our automobile oriented machine shop used hex shaped carbon rods, submerged in a jury rigged puddle of kerosene to erode hex shaped holes through whatever was broken off inside some threaded holes of very expensive parts. Once the hex hole was developed, an Allen wrench would unwind the stub.
Hi Turnaround,
How long did the machine take to make a hex socket deep enough for an allen wrench? we're talking hours, right?
Oh and how big of hex?

Thanks!
-brino

Turnaround

Iron
Registered Member
Hi Turnaround,
How long did the machine take to make a hex socket deep enough for an allen wrench? we're talking hours, right?
Oh and how big of hex?

Thanks!
-brino
Our Store bought EDM had a little "drill press" type arrangement, that allowed the operator to turn a crank and push the shaped carbon down towards the hole. Your senses told you how much and when to feed the carbon to erode a hole in a broken tap or drill bit. It took five to ten minutes to erode through something like the remnants of a 3/8" - 16 tap. The dam and kerosene was a necessary part of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Brino,

I am finding this thread fascinating as I am waiting to finish and try the EDM machine that I built earlier this year.

brino

Active User
Hi Mark,

I am trying to find the time to do a bunch of experiments with different power supplies. I want to try a beefier (higher-current) supply with a bank of capacitors to switch in/out to adjust things.

I'd also like to try a pulsed power supply, so I am very interested in your build too.

-brino

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Mine has a 2000 mfd capacitor on the output and switches in power resistors to regulate the current. The output is about 80 VDC and around 10 Amps.

Container Above bottom breadcrumb