[Newbie] Electric Motor 50hz question

Meekation

Registered
Registered
Gents, I just picked up a used dust collector on craigslist for use in my woodshop, all things seemed fine for it until I got it home and double checked the motor tag, see attached. As you can see, it's mostly in Chinese and lists out, 220v, 18.2 amps, 2840 rpm, and 50hz. That last part is what gave me pause, 50hz. I did some superficial googling about running 50hz on 60hz supply, but I don't feel confident on trying to put this into use. I paid $150 for it with no expectation to spend more than the cost of changing the plug over to match up with my 240v outlet. My question is, can I use this motor as is? If not, what do I need to do to put it into use? Would I be out less money to just find another motor? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_9870.jpg
    IMG_9870.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 11
yes you can use the 50hz motor on 60hz supply.
the motor will run faster- most likely around 3000 rpm

Los Angeles, Ca. had 50 cycle power years ago and the only difference would be that the motor will run faster, I've seen a good number of motors that are rated for both 50 and 60 cycle power; it should not be a problem.

I run a 50 Hz drill press, pressure washer, shop vac, and heat gun on 60 Hz power without incident. The shop vac and pressure washer get run hard, but I haven't had problems running them at 20% over speed.

You can run a 60 Hz. motor at 50 Hz. too if you lower the voltage to about 50/60 th's of the nameplate rating.

I think the speed will increase by 6/5 (1.2) x 2840 = 3408 in theory, of course there will be some slip
-M

Last edited:
Back