electric lead screw

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
I made a electric lead screw drive for my 9" wide bed south bend lathe. The problem i ran into the motor ran out of torque at a real low speed, it was a 50 rpm and i need a 30 rpm. Has anyone have a good cheap source for gear reduction dc motors ?

Try an automotive window drive motor, 12 volt. I have one on my Mill, it peaks out at 8 inches a minute, direct drive, 10 pitch screw, 80 rpm. I can slow it down to about 1 IPM, or 10 RPM. I bought 4 of them from a local junk yard, for $20.00 total.

I made a electric lead screw drive for my 9" wide bed south bend lathe. The problem i ran into the motor ran out of torque at a real low speed, it was a 50 rpm and i need a 30 rpm. Has anyone have a good cheap source for gear reduction dc motors ?

20171121_155519.jpg

Automotive windshield wiper motor?

Old drill/driver motors will work. About ten years ago, our local DIY was selling 18 volt drill/drivers for less than $15. The batteries were crap but the motors are quite strong and you get a variable speed control in the bargain. You can get one at HF for under $16.

Using pulse width modulation rather than a rheostat or variable voltage control will improve low end torque.

If the automotive suggestions do not work, try an internet search for "DC gear motor". These units are common to drive augers.

that is what i used rpm to fast 55 rpm need about 30, i ran a pwm , ran out of torque at low speed taking a .03 cut on the lathe ( check out the picture)

The Hardinge HLV use a dc motor to drive the carriage. Its set up so that the fields get full voltage all the time and the voltage to the armature is varied, using just a variable transformer. Never seams to be lacking in power.

Greg

Back