Eccentric tool grinding jig.

I'm out of projects and need something Challenging to do.

Invent a honing tool then. Honing, especially the end face, takes a lot more skill than grinding these things.

Invent a honing tool then. Honing, especially the end face, takes a lot more skill than grinding these things.

You mean because it’s hard to maintain a consistent angle with the hand card/file? What about the low-speed grinders some have made with a wet diamond disc and tilting table?

They work quite well. I have an Accu-Finish that puts a mirror finish on my lathe tools when I need it but I'm way faster by hand.

I had an idea for a HSS lathe tool grinding jig.

It uses a rotatable tool holding turret, mounted on an eccentric, which itself rotates independent of the turret and base.

The middle eccentric part is machined with it's 2 faces at a 12° angle to each other, and can be rotated 360°.

The combination of eccentric positions, turret positions, and putting the blank into the slot with whichever of it's 4 faces to be ground facing the belt/wheel should allow grinding nearly any angle desired, and relief/rake angles from 0°, up to 12°.

The larger center screw secures the eccentric to the base, and the two smaller screws secure the tool holding turret to the eccentric.

I wonder if this thing would be worth the effort of making.

Photos are gone :(

Back