Easy to build Air Engine

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Steam engines have always fascinated me and I often thought about building one but the designs I looked at were either too complicated or didn't appeal to me. I saw some models that were running on compressed air so made up my mind to build an engine. I was going to buy a set of plans and get started building but changed my mind and decided to make my own.
The engine was built to suit the materials I had on hand like the shaft size was determined by the roller bearings I already had.
I included a video of the engine below.
Amazing myself
Ray

GEDC1432.JPG

View attachment Air Engine Video.avi

GEDC1432.JPG

Very nice Ray,
Looks to be well balanced in running, although the flywheel does appear to be slightly off, unless thats just the video.

Cheers Phil

Thanks Chuck this is my first attempt at this kind of project.

Yes Phil I made the flywheel first and then drilled the center hole so when I pressed the shaft in it was off a little. Still learning!

Ray

Ray that is very nice would you did. And the video of it running was also fun to watch.

Nice work, Ray. I especially like the creative use of wood in your build.

By the way - how did you make the flywheel?

I started with a 1" thick X 5" round of 6061 aluminum mounted on a rotary table. I used a 5/8" end mill to remove .0350 of material on both sides except for 3/4" in the center and 1/4" around the outside. I then cut the spokes out on the CNC mill and then to the lathe for drilling and cleaning up.

Most of my work has been in wood the last few years making 2D and 3D models on my CNC router. My work has moved more toward metal after finishing the mill.

Thank you all

Ray

One of the more interesting flywheels I've seen! Are there benefits to having a hollowed out flywheel with spokes? I guess the overall weight would be reduced. Would it would have better inertia due to the weight being further from the rotating axis?

For some reason, my computer had an issue playing the video, not the audio, just the video. I am impressed with your design! Very nicely done!:applause: Thank you for sharing.

Back