• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Easy splinter removal. Best tool for the job.

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jgedde

Active User
About 20 years ago, my mother bought me a tweezer for Christmas. She said it came out of a seed catalog and was sold for handling tiny seeds. She said it was also the best thing she'd ever seen for removing splinters. I still have them after all these years.

This morning, while cleaning the garage, I got a small sliver of steel in my finger. You know, the ones you can feel but can't see? Well the tweezers came to the rescue and it came right out.

The secret to these tweezers seems to be that they're short, and have jaws that fit together well. The point has a large angle so they are durable.

I figured I would see if the tweezers had any markings on them as a clue to where they came from and whether they're still made. They're marked "Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper" and they're still made (in the USA)! Here's their website: http://www.slivergripper.com/ Just Google them and you'll find them for sale from a number of well known sources.

Grab yourself a set. You'll be glad you did. If the splinter is sticking out, even if only slightly, they never fail.

I've even pulled cactus "hairs" from my hands with these. Just keep pinching and pulling in the general vicinity of the "hair" and they come out.

They're also the cat's meow for tick removal.

ubsg.JPG

Cheers!
John

ubsg.JPG

Last edited:

GK1918

Active User
Hey thanks thats one of those things I shall put on my key chain.

fatal attraction to splinters...................................................

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
I have one, and he's not joking. I have it stored away in a special drawer in my toolbox, still in the original plastic tube. It's one of those prized possessions.:))

smallfly

Active User
Hey thanks thats one of those things I shall put on my key chain.

fatal attraction to splinters...................................................
---here is another tool , try this , if you are in your shop and you get a small splinter in your finger. grab a piece of fine sandpaper, say 220 grit, and rub it over the affected area. works like magic to remove splinters-ask me how i know. i believe i should thank keith fenner for this tip. just my $ .02 worth. re steve in mt.

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have some Dumont Swiss made tweezers with fine tips I use. I took a very fine 75 line per inch checkering file and gave the tips a little more gripping power with a few light swipes. Also,a very sharp tipped pocket knife blade helps to uncover splinters that have sunk in.

I had to "operate" on my work partner who had a very small,perfectly vertical steel splinter that went way into his finger straight down. It was about 1/16" long,and like a mini needle,but many times sharper. We had a 10x biology microscope in the shop that came in handy. First,there was a little round plug of dark crud I pulled out. Then,I finally got at the sliver. It had been aggravating him for weeks before he finally just had to have it removed.

stern

Active User
WOW, you guys are lucky, all my splinters require removal by pliers. If they are two far in, the exacto knife comes out. Must be my old skin, as after a few days turning I can see all the little ones after washing my hands, but other than that I wouldnt know they were there. I figure any one worth digging for will let itself be known in a few days when it swells up LOL

itsme_Bernie

Active User
Tweezerman! Great tweezers,lifetime free sharpening. The jaws always align perfectly- the most important trait of a good tweezer.

Bernie

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
I've hear, ask a joke, "circle it and take it out later"! Don't waste time with it now and take it out on your own time! LoL!

A good set of twisers are valable!

f350ca

Active User
The jaws on a set of callipers work as well as any tweezers, and they're always around some where.
Greg

Alphawolf45

Active User
Look at your hands under magnification and see dozens of metal splinters. The longer ones straight in do require digging out. I could use a good set of tweezers...Want to mention that when I get a bit of metal bounce up and stick to my eyeball I use a nice smooth magnet to get it off the eye. I don't mean that it is sticking into the eyeball which would best be handled by visit to a doctor.

rickw55

Active User
That "Sliver Gripper" is truly a great tool. I had one on my key chain when I worked in a cabinet shop, and used it daily, sometimes several times daily!
That reminds me of a story.
When my son was 3 or 4, he got a splinter in his butt from the wooden play structure in our back yard.I told him I was going to get the tweezers from the garage to pull it out. Instead of the tweezers, I came back in with my biggest pair of Channelocks! He knew I was joking right away, of course, but you should have seen his face when I first came in! And I did get the splinter out with the tweezers.
Rick W

bfd

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I was taught by a machinist that emery paper rubbed against the sliver will remove the splinter. I have used this method for years usually works. try to rub the emery opposite the splinter entered bill

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I use a dentists pic. The thing your dentil hygienist uses to pic and scrape your teeth.
And you must have good magnification. I use a EBAY jewelers loupe with built in light. Makes the pic look like a log!

Moderatemixed

Anyone ever thought of using gloves? "An ounce of prevention", lol. In all seriousness, what about latex or nitrile gloves, do any of you use something like that; is there a safe way to do so? Just a new guy by the way, and I will order a set of the tweezers for the record. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fixit

Active User
I keep a disposable razor in the tool box, if the splinter can be felt just run the razor over it. The blade snags it & pulls it out (most of the time). but i think I will buy the tweezers above.

fixit

kvt

Active User
Anyone ever thought of using gloves? "An ounce of prevention", lol. In all seriousness, what about latex or nitrile gloves, do any of you use something like that; is there a safe way to do so? Just a new guy by the way, and I will order a set of the tweezers for the record. Cheers.
Ok, please do not use normal gloves. Think safety. Look at some of the stuff posted about gloves. Do a search for gloves. We do not want to hear about another accident.

Due to skin condition and the fact the skin breaks open and bleeds, I use the thin blue ones like they use in Doctors offices, but have found they do not always stop the small splinters.
I got one the other day that drove me nuts, Could not see it, did the sand paper, did the running a knife back and forth a crossed the area, even pulled out the lighted magnifiers. Finally just worked out. Never did see it.

Moderatemixed

I am all about safety, absolutely. That was why I asked the question....... I have used the blue nitrile gloves when cleaning up etc., but I do not use gloves around any operating machines. If the lathe or mill are in use it's short sleeves and bare hands. Thanks for the advice though.

Ken from ontario

Love the honest- to- goodness advertising:
Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper has never met a splinter it couldn't handle or a Tick that it could not remove.

Whyemier

Active User
Elmers glue.:eek 2::idea: Works on wood splinters and some steel ones. Put it on, let it dry completely and peel it off. Doesn't always get them but lossa times it does.:applause:

Silverbullet

I have the little point set from a drafting tool the tips tapered and flat on the bottom. With a quick rotation of the tiny knurled closer they get a good hold and they the smallest tips I've ever had for splinters.

epanzella

Active User
I find the best tool for splinter removal is a 10X jeweler's loop. It makes even the smallest sliver look like a broom handle. I have an assortment of needles and tweezers that are very effiective but I can't grab what I can't see.

John_Dennis

Active User

Remember, a fundamental shop safety rule, no gloves, long sleeves, or loose clothing, around any spinning or moving tool. Many have suggested that even rubber gloves can be dangerous.

mikey

Active User
Guys, I'd like to offer some advice as a die hard splinter magnet and as a retired medical professional who has extracted numerous splinters over the years.
  • If you can't see it, it's mighty hard to pull it. And holding a magnifier with one hand while also pulling the splinter with the other hand is hard to do when the splinter is in one of those hands. Best thing is something that goes on your head and holds the lens in place, like an Optivisor with an optional loupe (see Alan H.'s recent thread on this).
  • As usual, use the least destructive stuff first. Quite often, adhesive tape is enough to get small, shallow splinters out. Duct tape is pretty good for this, as is Scotch Tape.
  • You need a set of precision tweezers to grab it if the tape fails. Before doing this, wash your hands. Yeah, I know its a hassle but it will cut down on infections. Before you need them, buy a precision tweezers. I use and recommend a set from Anmuth Medical: http://www.tweezersplus.com/first-aid/splinter-removal-kit/. If you can see it clearly and grab it with the tweezers then that's all you need. All too often, the splinter will be buried and you'll have to go in after it. Please don't use a knife; use the "splinter liberator" to gently open the hole. This thing is not really sharp; it simply allows you to spread the tissue apart just enough to expose the end of the splinter so you can grab the damned thing. Doing it this way is far better than using your wife's sewing needle, trust me. Yeah, you've done it and I bet you've pushed the splinter in deeper with it, too!
  • Once you've gotten that thing out, use soap and water to wash and irrigate the hole. Quite often, the splinter can go really deep and you can't get soap and water all the way down. In that case, I usually saturate the wound with Betadine.
  • I know "real men don't need no stinking band aids" but you should dress it for at least the first day or so. I usually use an antibiotic ointment before putting a band aid on it, then watch it carefully for infection. I've seen more than one finger amputated on a diabetic with an infected splinter hole.
Splinters and cuts are a fact of life in the hobby shop but I think the other medical professionals on this forum will agree that the sooner you clean and dress a wound the faster you'll heal, and the chances of a significant infection are greatly reduced. By "sooner", I mean inside the first few minutes after you feel that splinter. You can use Betadine and Alcohol to clean but soap and water are nearly as good and the wound may heal faster with plain old soap and water. Slap a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment from the drugstore on it, dress it with a band aid and watch it carefully until the wound closes over and you should be fine.

5 7