Easson 12B on a PM 1340 or 1440?

You can also get some flex on the top of the cabinet and the DRO can bounce a bit at certain speeds. I had been using Mason flexible (rubber with a metal shell) feet and did not have much of a problem with machine vibration, but recently switched to six metal feet, and now have more vibration with the DRO head bouncing a bit. Since I have the older style cabinets, they are flexing more because of the increased rigidity of the feet. I plan to tap some 0.200" steel plate and use it as a backing plate for the control box DRO mount, as opposed to just tapping the control box sheet metal. Will also need to put some 1/2" steel plate on the top of the cabinets to decrease some of the flex. There is something to be said about the vibration dampening properties for a monolithic cast iron base.

David fabricated a DRO head control arm that came off the back splash over the head stock. But you also have a bit of leverage and he mounted his back splash more securely. I would say the ideal location for the DRO is over the headstock, away from the chuck spray.

Thanks for the insights Mark. I will look closely at David's solution.

Very nice! What is the advantage of going with a Easson 12b vs the Easson 8a on a lathe? I ordered a 1440GT about a month ago and hope to see in about a month from now and was looking at different DRO options. I never had a DRO on a lathe before, so I'm pretty excited. BTW, this site is great!

Feature wise they are very similar. The ES12 has a graphical color display, so a bit easier on the eyes and the latest version has soft keys which change based on the machine function selected. It also allows you to do tapers and shows it in a graphical display along with coordinates. It looks like MonKman's has 3 axis, if so the 3rd axis could be used for the tailstock or tool post slide.

Attachments

• ES12 Setup Guide.pdf
    251.5 KB · Views: 84
  • ES12 Installation Guide.pdf
    703.2 KB · Views: 93
I like the looks of that display a lot. I mounted my control head off of the holes for the factory light on the back splash similar to Davids. So far mine has been absolutely rock solid. Like Mark said, as long as you are left of the chuck, you should be good.

Alan, Here are the installation photos you requested with the cover removed. Note the SS washers used as shims to flush the cover with the top of the slide.
P2085509.JPG
P2085510.JPG
P2085511.JPG

Thanks MM, much appreciated. When I am finished, I will start a new thread on my install for others who may need it down the road. Lost a couple of days with other commitments but hope to finish it up soon.

Additional Installation Info. If the optional coolant system is installed the supplied bracket clamp that holds the supply pipe must be modified to clear the DRO reader bracket. About a 1" square spacer block drilled for the longer bolts should do the trick.
dead hit 2.jpg
dead hit 1.jpg

I used the existing coolant riser mounting holes and just put the read head bracket under the riser mount.

Z-Scale02.png

Thanks, I'll take a look at that but it may be a little tight with my taper attachment installed.

Back